Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bulleit Rye

Advanced Taster

Bulleit Rye

Anybody else fans of Bulleit Rye? Its one of only a few Rye's that I have an hand, but its the first one I located since starting into Bourbon a few months back. I am about 2/3rds thru a bottle, and about to pick up another to replace it. I have Ritt BiB but haven't opened it yet, but all other Rye's I've found are a good $10-20 more per bottle so I'm pretty happy with Bulleit Rye at roughly $26-27 here in Pa.

So I had a few questions. One, I know some people give Bulleit a hard time for not being real open about where they get their whiskey, and I have heard the general consensus is they source their Bourbon from 4 roses (which I heard is coming to an end soon), but where does the Rye come from if you were to guess? Also, if I enjoy this so much, any other Ryes around a similar price point other than Ritt BiB? Smooth ambler has a 7yr Rye available here now, but its $40 a bottle. CEHT has a 100 proof Rye I can get here, its $61 a bottle. Both are a bit pricy. Templeton is $41 and I know it isn't as esteemed as SA. I'm not so concerned with keeping it a cheaper bottle but thats always a plus. So I guess I should more be saying, is there anything that shares some ancestry with Bulleit Rye? Or a, if you like Bulleit you will probably like these brands. I rarely drink anything other than straight with a few drops of water to dilute to 80-90pf, so I'm not looking for a mixer rye.
    Last edited by jmj_203; 05-20-2014 at 12:20.

Enthusiast

Re: Bulleit Rye

Bulleit Rye is sourced from MGPI (formerly LDI) in Indiana. Other MGPI ryes are Templeton, Willett 4-year, Dickel Rye, Smooth Ambler Rye, and many others.

Advanced Taster

I consider Bulleit Rye a fine drink. The problem I have is that it's priced in the $30-$35 range here. I can regularly get Dickel Rye, which is my "daily", for $8-$10 less. It's the same mashbill coming out of MGPI, but I believe the Bulleit has a bit more age on it. Also, Dickel does their maple charcoal filtering process on theirs prior to bottling.

I've never done a side-by-side, but I can say that they are very similar - enough for me to give the edge to Dickel based on price alone. I do pick up the Bulleit when the 1.75's are priced to make it beat the oz-per-oz price of the Dickel.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by upStomp View Post
    I consider Bulleit Rye a fine drink. The problem I have is that it's priced in the $30-$35 range here. I can regularly get Dickel Rye, which is my "daily", for $8-$10 less. It's the same mashbill coming out of MGPI, but I believe the Bulleit has a bit more age on it. Also, Dickel does their maple charcoal filtering process on theirs prior to bottling.

I've never done a side-by-side, but I can say that they are very similar - enough for me to give the edge to Dickel based on price alone. I do pick up the Bulleit when the 1.75's are priced to make it beat the oz-per-oz price of the Dickel.
    An example of the bizarreness of the microcosm that is whiskeydom. These are products of the same company from the same source and probably about the same age. Biggest difference is that one goes through an additional step of filtering through maple charcoal. And that happens to be the cheaper one!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    And that happens to be the cheaper one!
    And owned by the same company ... !
    Mark

Advanced Taster

I'll definitely have to give dickel Rye a purchase. Its not usually in stores here, I can special order it though and have it delivered to my store. I think its listed at $23 a bottle. I guess its similarly slightly cheaper that Bulleit here in Pa, though its only by $4 to $5 per 750ml.

I'm hoping in a few years the Dad's Hat guys here in Pa have an older Rye, at least older than what they currently have bottled on shelves. Could be good if they leave enough stock still aging in barrels instead of bottling up a lot of it now to make a quick buck. From what I've seen mentioned here n there they do plan to keep aging some.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by upStomp View Post

Both of these are around the same price by me, going to try the Bulleit and see if it can stand close to the Willett 4 year. I really enjoyed the Willett but if I can save $20 a bottle I would be happy.

Connoisseur

I agree, Dickel Rye is worth checking out. Keep in mind, WFE is single barrel. Two barrels will be similar, but not exactly the same. They bottle it at different ages too.

Guru

jmj the rye from MGP is widely available under different labels and the giveaway is the mention of 95% rye in the mashbill. Some producers want to position their brand as a premium so charge a higher price but the base whisky is the same for all.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    Keep in mind, WFE is single barrel. Two barrels will be similar, but not exactly the same. They bottle it at different ages too.
    Also, the really old WFE Rye (like the 25 year olds they're selling at the gift shop) is not MGPI. They don't disclose the source, but it's supposed to be incredible stuff.