Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Rye

Haven't seen anyone post this so figured I might as well. Got this email from Woodford

For years we've been keeping something new and special under wraps at the Distillery, and in the spirit of the holiday season, I decided it's about time we broke our silence and let the whiskey out of the barrel, so to speak. And who better to be the first to know about it than our Reserve members?

I'd like to formally introduce to you for the first time Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey.

This has been a labor of love I've been working on for more than nine years. It's a rye whiskey that tastes so good, it's so unlike any other rye whiskey. It has all the usual characteristics of rye whiskey - big clove and spice notes, black pepper, tobacco... but unlike other ryes, it has some sweet and fruit characters with a really pronounced honey note. It's palatable and very smooth, and I've been enjoying a tipple or two neat and on the rocks.

Right now we're set for a February launch with limited availability due to such small quantities made. (Trust me when I say we're making more as quickly as possible!) Visit the Innovation section of the website for tasting notes and more information.

The site says its 100% Kentucky Rye whiskey made in the Pot stills in Versailles and is as old as regular woodford (however old that is)
    Last edited by VAGentleman; 12-23-2014 at 05:04.

Connoisseur

Re: Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Rye

I wonder if this includes some of the Rittenhouse BF used to make for HH.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    It would be hard to believe if there wasn't a family resemblance
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Yeah, the rumors on this started a while back.

If it is all made in the Woodford pot stills as the emails seems to imply then it probably isn't related to Rittenhouse. More likely related to the largely panned Rye Masters Collection from a couple of years ago. But without confirmation of that it is hard to know what to believe.

But I do bet it won't be cheap given recent pricing structure! Or even reasonable. I would love to be wrong...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

No how no way is it going to be economical. That being said if certain SB members happen to post that is the best thing since sliced bread I'll probably give it a try

Connoisseur

Should be interesting. Price will be the key IMO. My anecdotal experience is that rye is still very much a niche product. None of my friends drink it. Bottles seem to stick around in liquor stores, especially the pricy ryes like LS&B, Jefferson's old ryes, Whistlepig Boss Hog, etc. There are some extremely good ryes at around $30 or less, including Baby Saz, Ritt BIB, James E Pepper. Some excellent ryes a bit higher, like SAOS 7 Yr and WT 101. If this Woodford is in the $40 range and up, I do believe it will languish.

Connoisseur

They've got to get a limited edition right sometime?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Tot View Post
    They've got to get a limited edition right sometime?
    Gee, I hope so. At least two of their previous LEs at the back of my top shelf (where I can't reach things out of sight, out of mind) are getting lonely.

Guru

Interesting they point out it's palatable.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

I'm going to be hunting a bottle of this stuff. I love the BF Rittenhouse. If this is anything like it, I'll probably buy it by the case.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.