Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: WT101 Rye Returns?

Not that it matters too much since we're not really hearing the best things, but just got an email from a store owner I had asked about it.

For what its worth since it involved a shop owner and a distributor, he talked to his sales guy and was basically told that Georgia was unlikely to see any of it trickle down to the retailers, bars already had orders in for most everything they were slated to get and it wasn't expected to arrived here for another month or two.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Not that it matters too much since we're not really hearing the best things
    Hey, let's not jump to conclusions... So far, the tally is 2 in favor, 1 against. Seriously though, I just don't think the new stuff is going to make its way into wide distribution, for the time being at least. The bartenders really wanted the 101 back, and I gather that will be the focus of the distribution.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Not that it matters too much since we're not really hearing the best things, but just got an email from a store owner I had asked about it.

For what its worth since it involved a shop owner and a distributor, he talked to his sales guy and was basically told that Georgia was unlikely to see any of it trickle down to the retailers, bars already had orders in for most everything they were slated to get and it wasn't expected to arrived here for another month or two.
    Man this really disappointing news.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    Hey, let's not jump to conclusions... So far, the tally is 2 in favor, 1 against.
    Ha. Wel I'm definitely hoping that I like it as much as the old. I didn't know much about whiskey then, but it was definitely a favorite. But I'm not too big of a fan of any WT stuff these days so I won't be too surprised or disappointed either way.

Taster

Found a liter of the new WT 101 rye at my local store so I bought it since I had an old 101 rye at home that I had found a few months back. I did a blind SBS tasting of the two and really enjoyed the old one much more than the new one. The old 101 rye had a very thick mouth feel and a good rye spice but not overwhelming. The nose was a little less in your face but it was nice. The new one had a much more powerful nose which at first I liked better but after tasting, you could taste that the new one was younger and had more alcohol burn. Never having tasted either variety before, I really like the the old WTR101 neat but unfortunately I think the new one will be relegated to cocktail duty which I guess isn't a bad thing because it should stand up nicely to mixers. The other option might be to throw it in the barrel I got for Christmas to see if that takes the edge off it.

Virtuoso

Picked up a 1L locally for $37. Don't have any of the old for SBS comparison, but comparing to WFE 4yr Rye I find it to be lighter mouthfeel which starts hot, but finishes smooth. Less mint bomb in relation to WFE which is not a complaint as some nights you want that kick and some you don't.

Disappointed that price is up 20% or so from when it last appeared (if you factor cost back to 750mL). With what other brands have been selling for, this was likely a pure "what the market will bear" adjustment. All in all, glad it's back as it wipes the floor with the WT81 Rye.

Enthusiast

Just picked up the new WT101 Rye. I have not had the older version, nor can I do a side by side. It doesn't seem to be very complex. All I really get is rye and spicy tropical fruits. It is tasty, but nothing really amazing. Reminds me more of WT101 bourbon than a straight foward rye.

Disciple

1 liter will set you back $44.99 at Binny's...not me .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    1 liter will set you back $44.99 at Binny's...not me .
    Eep! That's the equivalent of nearly $34 for a 750ml bottle. Quite a jump from its old, cozy $22-25 perch.
    Michael Shoshani - Old No. 8 on the Straightbourbon.com forums

Disciple

The folks at WT are marketing genius's.

Just looking out for our best interest.