Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: WT101 Rye Returns?

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    1 liter will set you back $44.99 at Binny's...not me .
    Wow, glad I stocked up before it was pulled and "re-released".

Guru

That sort of re-release can re-direct my funds to another brand.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

In a climate where it's almost difficult to find a bad tasting rye at just over $20/bottle, they've got some cojones. 100 proof or not.

Advanced Taster

I was at a tasting on Sunday the national rep was there I was trying the Russel's 6 year old rye not bad. I asked about the WT 101 rye. He said tell the store that I wanted some. I talked the store. Their like Really? We haven't been able to get it. They called me today and I have 2 bottles on hold.

Ted
    In Society that Outlaws Adventure the Only Adventure is to Outlaw that Society

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by upStomp View Post
    In a climate where it's almost difficult to find a bad tasting rye at just over $20/bottle, they've got some cojones. 100 proof or not.
    If the new release has changed, it 's another story, but IMO there isn't another rye on the market that has the big spicy kick of WTR 101. So, for that, I will allow them a premium in the category. But indeed, mid-$40's is probably pushing it.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    If the new release has changed, it 's another story, but IMO there isn't another rye on the market that has the big spicy kick of WTR 101. So, for that, I will allow them a premium in the category. But indeed, mid-$40's is probably pushing it.
    I've never tried WTR 101 in any iteration, so I'll indeed withhold final judgement until I do. If it turns out that there's something special about it (that's clearly missing from the 81 proof expression), then it could very well warrant premium status. But it's my understanding that the WTR 101 was "standard issue" back in the day. Why would that change with its return to the shelves? The equivalent of $34/750 is head-and-shoulders above anything else wearing the WT label, at least from where I'm sitting.

I'm pretty well set on my standard pour ryes (GDR and Jefferson's are pretty much all I buy in the category - at $22 and $30, respectively). Still, I'd love to try the WTR, if only out of curiosity.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by upStomp View Post
    I've never tried WTR 101 in any iteration, so I'll indeed withhold final judgement until I do. If it turns out that there's something special about it (that's clearly missing from the 81 proof expression), then it could very well warrant premium status. But it's my understanding that the WTR 101 was "standard issue" back in the day. Why would that change with its return to the shelves? The equivalent of $34/750 is head-and-shoulders above anything else wearing the WT label, at least from where I'm sitting.

I'm pretty well set on my standard pour ryes (GDR and Jefferson's are pretty much all I buy in the category - at $22 and $30, respectively). Still, I'd love to try the WTR, if only out of curiosity.
    I will bring a "dusty" 750 to the Gazebo if you are making the journey west.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Taster

Imagine my surprise seeing this on the shelf at Binny's yesterday in 1L bottles, good think I looked at the price. For $45, I could buy 2-3 bottles of Rittenhouse depending on where I shop. Unless this drops considerably, It just doesn't seem worth it.

Connoisseur

I had a small pour of the new stuff at a local bar, and didn't like it much. It tasted hot and thin, without much (if any) nuance. I didn't water it down because the pour was so small, but I think the point of this is NOT to drink it at 81 proof.

Virtuoso

Wow, I can't believe the price on this is now more than double what I was paying before!