Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: WT101 Rye Returns?

Quote Originally Posted by Eth3rStrik3r View Post
    Imagine my surprise seeing this on the shelf at Binny's yesterday in 1L bottles, good think I looked at the price. For $45, I could buy 2-3 bottles of Rittenhouse depending on where I shop. Unless this drops considerably, It just doesn't seem worth it.
    Yikes! I like the older stuff WTR101, but I wouldn't pay $35 for a 750 of that - which sounds like it still beats the pants off the new stuff. I really wonder - is WT selling enough of the 81 rye? I see it on the shelves all the time, but don't know anyone who likes it. I'd much rather than do an aged 101 version (maybe 7 yrs?) and just scrap the 81. I'd probably pay $45 for that - at least once.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Disciple

Don't understand their pricing here considering their pricing on WT101 and WTRB.

It just make a lot of sense.

Advanced Taster

Passed on it today @$38/liter. It was nice to see it making it to Mass, and at a better price point than others have posted. It's still a bit high for me while I'm able to get my GDR for $22/750 at the same store.

Connoisseur

I picked one up at $37/liter. I thought I still had an older one open, but after digging around in boxes, I only found a still-sealed one, which I'm planning to keep unopened for a while.

It's not exactly like I remember the old label stuff, but it made a fine manhattan, and I'll be happy working my way through the bottle.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Hey, where'd you get that picture of Hectic?
    Why haven't you answered me?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kyjd75 View Post
    Yes, it has, Steve. (pant, pant, pant......)
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

I saw a liter at Binny's in Chicago. I did not grab it. I did not check the price either, can't justify a liter of anything.
    -Guy Debord

Connoisseur

40 bucks a liter at Astor in NYC. Come on! Oh, but I'm sure that time off the market allowed them to give it extra months in the barrel. We all knew this was coming but it still is a sick joke.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by scratchline View Post
    40 bucks a liter at Astor in NYC. Come on! Oh, but I'm sure that time off the market allowed them to give it extra months in the barrel. We all knew this was coming but it still is a sick joke.

-Mike
    Beats the $54 they were charging for it at the Distillery! I passed.

Which is rare for me...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by upStomp View Post
    In a climate where it's almost difficult to find a bad tasting rye at just over $20/bottle, they've got some cojones. 100 proof or not.
    Can you guys elaborate? I'm confused, as Ive been trying to broaden my horizons from only straight bourbon by stocking up some ryes. I only have a few, namely Rittenhouse Rye BiB, Old Scout 7 yr rye, and Bulleit Rye, but I find this pricing statement to be the opposite here in Pennsylvania. I enjoy the ryes just as much, but I haven't seen a single Rye here below 20, let alone a good one. Rittenhouse I know raised prices so its 26 here, but EVERY other rye I am seeing is like $40 to 50 a bottle. Many of the ones I've seen that are discussed as being good ryes are $60 plus. Basically I'm finding to get a good tasty rye I expect to pay twice as much as I would for a bourbon. Where are all these tasty ryes at sub 25 or 20 dollar prices? Or was that a typo? I'll buy em anyways to try, but when I can still stock delicious bourbon at value prices I keep way less ryes when they cost twice as much on average.

Also I see my site has the new WTR 101 listed for special order, think its 31.99. May have to order a few to try.
    Last edited by jmj_203; 05-02-2014 at 11:16.