Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    Guru

Re: WT101 Rye Returns?

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    It's in the MI liquor catalog but it's for on premise only.
    I too have been ordering from a take-out store with no results.
    I picked up a bottle at the Wild Turkey gift shop Saturday.
    If you know a bar owner then he can get it for you.
    Did they bring the price down at the gift shop? When I was there it was priced at some truly annoying markup. I want to say it was $50 or so. Even as a liter that was too much. I decided to pass at that price.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mhatzung View Post
    Has anyone one seen this in Michigan yet? My liquor store has been ordering it, but they have yet to receive a bottle. It is on the Michigan list at $34.99 state minimum.
    I have bought multiple bottles in Detroit area liquor stores. Pm if you need help finding a bottle.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Did they bring the price down at the gift shop? When I was there it was priced at some truly annoying markup. I want to say it was $50 or so. Even as a liter that was too much. I decided to pass at that price.
    I honestly don't remember the price, I just grabbed a Diamond, Kentucky Spirit & Rye 101 and was glad to get them.
    ovh

Enthusiast

Saw a local store here announce that they got in a few bottles, $40/L. Haven't made it over there this weekend and debating on whether I'll pick up a bottle without having another glass or two at a bar, but its at least nice to see it showing up in stores here.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Saw a local store here announce that they got in a few bottles, $40/L. Haven't made it over there this weekend and debating on whether I'll pick up a bottle without having another glass or two at a bar, but its at least nice to see it showing up in stores here.
    Really nice that they let folks know! These are trying times. Obviously, many have bought WTR101 in the low $20s/750 ml and now the price is higher. But, the price is higher for everything. Sometimes, you just have to realize the times have changed and things are more expensive. Given the options out there, I would be a buyer at $30 for sure. But, I would have to be certain before paying $40, even for a liter.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    Really nice that they let folks know! These are trying times. Obviously, many have bought WTR101 in the low $20s/750 ml and now the price is higher. But, the price is higher for everything. Sometimes, you just have to realize the times have changed and things are more expensive. Given the options out there, I would be a buyer at $30 for sure. But, I would have to be certain before paying $40, even for a liter.
    Agreed on the being nice to let people know. This store has really up'd their whiskey game, the last couple years. I find myself giving them a lot of business, even if there are several stores closer.

Really price, anywhere near MSRP is no problem. Most distillers set a fair price give the way the market/economy for whiskey is these days. For ~4 year old rye its a bit high, considering I can almost get 1.5L of rittenhouse for the same price, but what the heck, theres only so much different, reasonably proofed, and decently aged rye out there now.

Whats holding me back is how much I loved the old one and deciding if I want to "dignify" the new release with a purchase. I'll probably swing by there tomorrow and if there is any left I'll pick one up, but I figured I'd let anyone else really dying to get it pick it up over the weekend.
    Last edited by ramblinman; 08-10-2014 at 21:36.

Enthusiast

Finally pulled the trigger on a liter earlier this week (I had a good business meeting, I was weak)

Its really a thin, hot, young version of its former self, so its definitely Wild Turkey, but all in all its still not too bad. Whole lot of corniness comes out in my first few glasses and I honestly don't get much rye-ness at all until the herbalness in the finish.

Glad I got it, and I see myself visiting it every now and again, but I'm guessing this bottle will last a long time on my shelf.

Advanced Taster

Just picked up a couple of the new WT101 ryes. I did a comparison of this one with the single bottle I bunkered before it was discontinued. Both were freshly cracked bottles. The verdict for this first impression? For my palate, I did not notice much of a difference. The new one might have been slightly less spicy, but it was a subtle difference. I will try these again over the next couple of days, and will report back if my impressions change. I'm glad this is available once again. I'm not happy that it is a little more expensive than it used to be, but it is still cheaper than Baby Saz when compared at the 750 mL size. And I still think it is a touch better than Baby Saz.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
    Just picked up a couple of the new WT101 ryes. I did a comparison of this one with the single bottle I bunkered before it was discontinued. Both were freshly cracked bottles. The verdict for this first impression? For my palate, I did not notice much of a difference. The new one might have been slightly less spicy, but it was a subtle difference. I will try these again over the next couple of days, and will report back if my impressions change. I'm glad this is available once again. I'm not happy that it is a little more expensive than it used to be, but it is still cheaper than Baby Saz when compared at the 750 mL size. And I still think it is a touch better than Baby Saz.
    I'm of the opinion that your take on the hardly detectable difference between the two is probably how it is. Really, it was only a couple of years of down time, and I just can't imagine a significant change in the profile of the whiskey because of that.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I'm of the opinion that your take on the hardly detectable difference between the two is probably how it is. Really, it was only a couple of years of down time, and I just can't imagine a significant change in the profile of the whiskey because of that.
    Isn't there a good chance they came off the new and old still? May still be the same but that is a pretty big variable although they of course get to blend hundreds of barrels, perhaps including older ones, to meet the desired profile.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum