Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: WT101 Rye Returns?

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I did a 4-way blind tasting this afternoon with Ritt BIB (DSP-1 and DSP-354), WTR101, and Jeff10.

Attachment 16945

I found the color to be very similar, although both Ritt BIBs were lighter than the other two (and I thought the WTR101 was darker than the Jeff10, which surprised me). On the nose, the Jeff10 really shined - head/shoulders above the other 3, which wasn't a surprise. The DSP-354 also stood out as being the most "bourbony" nose of the bunch. The DSP-1 and WTR101 were fairly similar, although I thought the WTR101 was a bit sweeter and softer. I had guessed correctly which was which based on the nose and color (surprised myself!), although I was iffy on the DSP-1 and WTR101 (and thought they might be a coin-flip).

I did three rounds of tasting (only poured 1/2 ounce of each, so these were small sips). The Jeff10 was the clear winner, having more complexity and stronger flavors (again, no surprise). At first I liked the DSP-1 more than the WTR101 or DSP-354, both of which I thought were "softer" on the palate. In later rounds, I liked the WTR101 more and the 354 less (and at the end of the tastings, I changed my guesses and wound up mixing up the DSP-1 and WTR101). The 354 is definitely a bit sweeter than the others, and was my least favorite of the bunch.

The conclusion I came to was that I should buy more Jeff 10 before the price goes up Also, that I won't hurt myself trying to pick up any WTR101, as today I found it quite similar to DSP-1. Hadn't planned on bunkering DSP-354 before this, as I liked DSP-1 better most of the time. On any given Sunday (or day that ends in "day"), the WTR101 might edge out the DSP-1, but at a higher premium (and I expect the comeback of WTR101 won't come with a price decline), I won't be in a hurry to stock up.
    Great job! Gotta love SB. It's a shortcut if your palate matches Gary's. I agree about the Jefferson's being great. No need to pay extra for whistle pig with Jeff 10 around (that is until the domestic version arrives).
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    Great job! Gotta love SB. It's a shortcut if your palate matches Gary's. I agree about the Jefferson's being great. No need to pay extra for whistle pig with Jeff 10 around (that is until the domestic version arrives).
    I'm really hoping it doesn't take a nosedive when it changes to US production. I have the same perspective on the pig (although can't claim to have done a blind sbs, but when I tried it at a bar, I thought "Overpriced Jeff 10?"

Anyone know when we'll see the first US produced Jeff 10? Definitely want to bump that to see the change (I like the newer Ritt BIB, so fingers crossed the new Jeff 10 will be at least close?)
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Frankly I'd like to see more aged Rye out of Canada, they've got that 100% formula down to a science.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

I was really surprised last weekend that a number of counties in lower NC still have ample supplies of old WTRye 101 at $22 a bottle. Every store I stopped in had at least a case.

Guru

I trust you lightened their load a bit.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Frankly I'd like to see more aged Rye out of Canada, they've got that 100% formula down to a science.
    Since the producers in Canada don't seem to be interested in bottling the stuff themselves, all that is required are willing American bottlers to travel north with a cheque book in hand and you'll have plenty of aged 100% rye.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Advanced Taster

Well, this seems new....you can special order the 101 from PA state stores.

https://www.lcbapps.lcb.state.pa.us/...&submit=Search

It says it's in the 750ml bottles so I don't know if this is old stock, but it seems coincidental that it is now available....but at $32 I'll pass....maybe someone else will take the plunge and report back.
    Rye whiskey makes the sun set faster.

Enthusiast

Shit, I'll do it. I will let you guys know how it goes.

EDIT: Well, they took the order. SPO's usually take less that a week to come in, if not next day. If it doesn't happen, then I probably won't ever get it!
    Last edited by zillah; 12-09-2013 at 08:34.

Enthusiast

No dice.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    No dice.
    What happened? Not in stock?
    Rye whiskey makes the sun set faster.