Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Guru

Re: Is there a trademark issue here?

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...it's always those lawyers...of course you can't dance unless somebody invites you to .
    Sorry, Thad. Present company excepted, of course.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    of course you can't dance unless somebody invites you to .
    My wife is a lawyer, and administrator of the state bar here. I also have many esquires in the friends and family, and I'll just say that it occasionally seems like a Sadie Hawkins ordeal to me

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

For many years I've abided the occasional jibes about lawyers here, and most are (I feel) good-natured and don't convey any real enmity. Still, it is fair ball (at the least) to explain things from the other side. I am sure no one would disagree with that.

I've been doing this work for 35 years and most of the people in it I've met are decent head-working professionals. They try the best for their clients under what are often trying conditions, including often trying to get paid a fair dollar for what you do and the considerable knowledge behind the "simple" advice you often are asked to give. Are there bad or dishonest lawyers out there? Yes, there are some I am sure, just as there are bad or dishonest businesspeople, bad or dishonest people going through divorce, bad or dishonest people acting as executors, etc. etc. (And let's not go to the politicians, who make the laws we administer and interpret).

As servants to the business crowd, amongst other clienteles, inevitably you will get some who follow/mimic and maybe encourage the worst ways in their constituency. But most aren't like that and it is not correct IMO to suppose that lawyers will, in general, try to find a recourse simply because they can make money doing it. The impetus to bring results, at all events, comes from the client side, and we shouldn't forget that.

The law is a complex and difficult trade, much harder than it appears to those who aren't on the inside. Yet I've met numerous non-lawyers in my time who get the essence of what we do and appreciate the challenges faced - and the results won when you get them; that gives me encouragement.

Probably the profession is partly responsible for not explaining well enough what it does, but when it has its hands full trying to make the day effective for the clients and earn a decent wage at it, sometimes that side is overlooked.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 11-22-2013 at 17:49.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    For many years I've abided the occasional jibes about lawyers here, and most are (I feel) good-natured and don't convey any real enmity. Still, it is fair ball (at the least) to explain things from the other side. I am sure no one would disagree with that.

I've been doing this work for 35 years and most of the people in it I've met are decent head-working professionals who try the best for their clients under what are often trying conditions, including often trying to get paid a fair dollar for what you do and the considerable knowledge behind the "simple" advice you often asked to give. Are there bad or dishonest lawyers out there? Yes, there are some I am sure, just as there are bad or dishonest businesspeople, bad or dishonest people going through divorce, bad or dishonest people acting as executors, etc. etc. (And let's not go to the politicians, who make the laws we administer and interpret).

As servants to the business crowd, amongst other clienteles, inevitably you will get some who follow/mimic and maybe encourage the worst ways in their constituency. But most aren't like that and it is not correct IMO to suppose that lawyers will, in general, try to find a recourse simply because they can make money doing it. The impetus to bring results, at all events, comes from the client side, and we shouldn't forget that.

The law is a complex and difficult trade, much harder than it appears to those who aren't on the inside. (At the same time I've met many non-lawyers in my time who get the essence of what we do and appreciate the challenges faced - and the results won when you get them).

Probably the profession is partly responsible for not explaining well enough what it does, but when it has its hands full trying to make the day effective for the clients and earn a decent wage at it, sometimes that side is overlooked.

Gary
    As always Gary, eloquently and sincerely written. And, the reason why you are so admired and respected here on SB.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Well-stated Gary. I've never met nor worked with an attorney whose ethics took a backseat to a paycheck. I'm sure they are out there, but in no greater proportion to those who suffer a lack of ethics/morals regardless of profession.
    Mark

Guru

I think it was LBJ who said, "I know he's a bastard but he's my bastard".
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

I have no disdain of lawyers either. One of my good friends is a lawyer. I have two kinds though, that I generally don't trust, and I may be wrong even on these:

1: most any lawyer that advertises on tv ads, particularly those who advertise during the afternoon baby-daddy/who's-cheating-on-who/etc shows

2: most any lawyer who approaches me, or anyone else really, without me or that person first soliciting the services of that lawyer.

Virtuoso

Speaking from actual experiences there is nothing better than a great lawyer and nothing worse than a poor one. Also applies to doctors, not everyone who gets a degree finishes at the top of their class.