Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Beer aged in Van Winkle barrels

One of the local craft beer brewers, Hoppin Frog, will be releasing B.O.R.I.S Van Wink on black Friday along with their barrel aged xmas ale. Both beers have been aging in former Van Winkle barrels (I don't know how old these barrels are) and should go well with their beer. They are always well ranked on Beer Advocate (Currently 17th best brewery in the world according to Rate Beer) so I hope its tastey.

Guru

Re: Beer aged in Van Winkle barrels

I don't see how a used Bourbon barrel from Buffalo Trace would age beer any differently than one from, say, Brown-Forman, but I can see how the Van Winkle association would have some commercial value. Is he really going to put Van Wink on the label?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Bourbon barrel aged beers is how I got into bourbon. I was a huge craft beer fan before I came over to bourbon. Some of the best (highest rated) beers in the world are aged in VW barrels like:

Goose Island Rare Bourbon County Brand Stout
    Olde Hickory Old Rabbits Foote
    Foothills Barrel Aged Sexual Chocolate
    Barrel Aged Dark Lord
    FiftyFifty Eclipse

Advanced Taster

It seems to me that a Makers Mark, Old Fitz or a plain 'ol Weller barrel would do about the same job as a Van Winkle barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    One whiskey for every ghost.

Advanced Taster

Maybe, but Van Winkle barrels tend to have been sitting filled with whiskey for longer so there's less wood tannin and less sugar (generally) than younger barrels. This means the beer can generally be aged longer in the wood without over oaking. Also, as we know from Devil's Cut, there's still a lot of whiskey left in the wood. So the better the whiskey you put in the beer, the better the beer will taste. In many barrel aged beers, the bourbon flavors are very pronounced

Trippah and Admin

The Aussie Shiraz that was finished in VW barrels (before it was cool) definitely carries bourbon notes forward. I'm sure it would be a different beast if it was finished in some other cooperage.

It is one of the few wines that I'm happy to have purchased by the case.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

I love BORIS and DORIS from Hoppin' Frog (and have a few of both put back). If any of my Ohioan buds wanted to put an extra Van Wink in their cart that would be pretty cool.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jaycamm View Post
    It seems to me that a Makers Mark, Old Fitz or a plain 'ol Weller barrel would do about the same job as a Van Winkle barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    At $30 a pop it's a tough test to tackle, but the Fifty-Fifty Eclipse BBA stout that comes out once a year demonstrates the difference a particular barrel can make. Each year, the stout is aged in a range of different barrels, then bottled and waxed to indicate which brand of whiskey barrel a particular bottle came from. (I'm exhausted and probably not explaining this very well.) Anyway, here's one blogger's review of the most recent batch of Eclipse releases....

ETA: Of course, you were solely talking wheaters, while the blogger reviewed beers aged in barrels from two wheaters, a rye bourbon, a rye whiskey and a wheat whiskey....
    Last edited by stevegoz; 11-21-2013 at 08:53.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I don't see how a used Bourbon barrel from Buffalo Trace would age beer any differently than one from, say, Brown-Forman, but I can see how the Van Winkle association would have some commercial value. Is he really going to put Van Wink on the label?
    Yes he is and here is a link to the label.http://beeradvocate.com/community/th...winkle.127209/

Advanced Taster

Intriguing -- thx for the heads-up, TiO. I'll be up in Cuyahoga County visiting fam in just a few weeks and will keep eyes peeled for it to at least kick the tires. That'll give my trips to the State Stores more purpose this time around (b/c OYO Bourbon just doesn't do it).