Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Virtuoso

Re: Beer aged in Van Winkle barrels

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    My buddies cut me in on 6 of the Hopping Frog. It's pretty tasty, but I was hoping to find more of the Bourbon in there than I did.
    Just admit it. You're a pappy slut...
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Eskwar, we will be certain to save some snow for your visit.

It is the least we can do.
    Hopefully y'all can mix in some brownouts, just for a returning native son.

Is there any east side store you'd recommend I patronize in Cleveland? That is, anyone who deserves our week of business, fwiw? I know selection is still somewhat limited, although my understanding is it's not quite the state-store system I recall from the '70s & '80s. Maybe someone w/ a good-enough selection who you simply like to send your $ to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

Bull and Bush in Denver did an Amazing van winkle aged stout, won FOBAB in 2010 I think.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ThirstyinOhio View Post
    If the OYO Bourbon (it shouldn't even be called bourbon since what is inside that bottle is blended with wheat whiskey) doesn't do it for you, you could try the other Columbus distillery's bourbon, Watershed. I prefer it to the OYO stuff, but that's not really saying much.
    Good to know. Your comment made me check to see if Watershed (hooch-provider) was any relation to Watershed (early '90s band from ~ my hometown of Worthington). I was disappointed to see the answer appears to be "no." Not certain I'll make it that far south on 71 this time.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Eskwar View Post
    Hopefully y'all can mix in some brownouts, just for a returning native son.

Is there any east side store you'd recommend I patronize in Cleveland? That is, anyone who deserves our week of business, fwiw? I know selection is still somewhat limited, although my understanding is it's not quite the state-store system I recall from the '70s & '80s. Maybe someone w/ a good-enough selection who you simply like to send your $ to?
    How far on the east side? I'm in western Lake County, so this is from my perspective.

For beer and whiskey by the drink, there's Lizardville which has a couple of locations. http://www.lizardville.net/

Beach Club Bistro in Euclid has a nice whiskey list and draft list. http://www.bcbistro.com/

World Wines and Liquor in Mentor on Rt 20 has as good of a whiskey selection as any area liquor store.

For beer to go, I recommend Save On Beer and Wine in Mentor. They have a great selection of beers and singles/mixed six packs are sold with no upcharge. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile.../?view=beerfly http://www.saveontobaccomentor.com/
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Advanced Taster

Thanks for the quick and detailed response, Ox--your recs should take the edge off holiday travel w/ 2 little kids. We'll be in Shaker. Mentor isn't far, but I've gotta keep those Willoughby speed traps in mind. The places on your list that we can't make this time will give us something to look forward to this summer, as we drive from the 216 to Chautauqua and back.

OT: I'll endeavor to p/u some OH brau rested in VW barrels and report my findings.