Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

Raisins Steeped in Bourbon

Last year I packed an 8 oz jar with raisins, and poured bourbon over them to cover (and it's been so long, I'm not sure which bourbon I used - but it may have been KCSB, or some other similarly high proof stuff). Wasn't the plan to let them sit this long (shouldn't hurt, but probably the same effect as a couple weeks), but it is what it is. Decided to bake some pumpkin cookies, which call for raisins - so throwing the jar (after straining) in along with some "non-enhanced" raisins.

Wow - really amazing cookies! The bourbon raisins play second fiddle to the pumpkin, so folks who aren't bourbon lovers won't be put off - but when you bite into one of those juicy little buggers - just delicious! Definitely going to do this with some oatmeal raisin cookies in the future!

Oh, and by the way, I obviously didn't strain the raisins without reserving that bourbon Looking forward to that this afternoon!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Re: Raisins Steeped in Bourbon

Best Thanksgiving cooking tip I've heard in awhile.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Sounds good! My wife makes great cookies so we may try this. I bet the raisins sweetened the bourbon too. It the bourbon tastes great, you might be onto something...bourbon finished in raisin jars!

Connoisseur

WOW! Dude! You are soooooo damned creative. I hope you save one or two examples and bring 'em North when you come for Christmas. It sounds absolutely delicious. I'm gonna go and grab a few raisins right now before we leave for the Two James Spirits distillery tour, and stick 'em in a bottle to soak. I don't know what I'll use 'em on, but something tasty, I'm sure. Maybe a topping for a Venison backstrap?

Guru

Sounds awesome and good thinking. Don't want to let those raisins sit around too long and turn into grapes.

Virtuoso

Mrs Emma Kate Willis, my friends grandmother lived to be 103 years old. She died about 6 years ago and was very much a part of the old south and Tallahassee's history. By all accounts and existing photos a charming, elegant and witty woman in her youth she was high spirited even in her final days.
    As she approached the century mark a local paper sent a young reporter to interview her. At some point in the interview he asked her the secret of her longetivity. We were all startled to hear her answer "raisins, I always have 6 raisins in the evening, usually as I'm getting ready for bed, sometimes twice on holidays." He followed up with more questions about the raisins, and we learned she kept them in a mason jar and the the brand wasn't important.
    After the interview we asked her more questions and wondered why we didn't know about the mason jar full of raisins. Turns out she kept them hidden in her bedroom and there was a little more to it than she admitted to the young reporter. She had been toping the jar with raisins in it with Old Grand Dad Bonded Bourbon since just after prohibition "just for a little more flavor" she smiled.

To this day my friend has a mason jar full of raisins soaking in OGD BiB on his side board in memory of his grandmother.

Connoisseur

That is a terrific story.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Guru

Thanks for sharing that Steve! They turned out well in the cookies, and I imagine putting in breads or other dishes (thinking maybe a carrot salad?) I didn't try them straight from the jar, but I'm refilling the jar to give that a shot! I'm fresh out of OGD BIB, but I'm sure they'll stand up to the OGD 114 just fine

I threw the raisin/bourbon in a glass and stuck in the fridge. Just pulled it out, and it is like a raisin liqueur! The raisin is really prominent, pretty much stomping out the traditional bourbon flavor, and it obviously took on a lot of the sugar as it is THICK (damn near like warm maple syrup!) Reminds me of a high proof plum wine (which I do enjoy). Not sure I'd make a batch just to drink, but do think a few bourbon infused raisins can't be bad for my health
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Another good reason to keep a supply of Old Grand Dad on hand.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Another good reason to keep a supply of Old Grand Dad on hand.
    ....As if you needed another reason!!! We all know how you love this (me too!).