Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Raisins Steeped in Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    ....As if you needed another reason!!! We all know how you love this (me too!).
    I think if I brought another bottle home in the next few weeks (even a cost-effective pick up like an OGD BIB), I would run the risk of serious bodily harm But once the New Year comes, the whole budget starts fresh, eh!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

I love raisins soaked in bourbon. Or in Courvoisier cognac. Alas, I cannot eat them because raisins are off my diet.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Advanced Taster

I soak raising in bourbon and use them in bread pudding. Really gives it that extra oomph.

Advanced Taster

We have people come into the distillery all the time and tell us the same tale. Older folks swear that the key to good health is raisins that have been soaked in gin before bedtime. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that.

Virtuoso

It was a way to get a little tipple without drinking. Not proper to drink don'tcha know. Just sampling the baked goods spices after all.

Guru

As folks who got to be "older" seem to swear by it, I'm going to try to incorporate that into my diet. Yep. Purely for the benefits of good health
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Since both gin and Bourbon seem to work think I'll hedge my bets with both.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

I'm amazed to see how quickly these little buggers (the raisins) soak up the Bourbon. They've at least doubled in size in just two days.... and nearly sucked up all the Bourbon in which I dropped 'em; I may need to add more Bourbon; but then they may plump up so much the damned bottle explodes.... a real conundrum. I'll let you all know; or maybe you'll read about the explosion on the 'interweb'.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Mrs Emma Kate Willis, my friends grandmother lived to be 103 years old. She died about 6 years ago and was very much a part of the old south and Tallahassee's history. By all accounts and existing photos a charming, elegant and witty woman in her youth she was high spirited even in her final days.
    As she approached the century mark a local paper sent a young reporter to interview her. At some point in the interview he asked her the secret of her longetivity. We were all startled to hear her answer "raisins, I always have 6 raisins in the evening, usually as I'm getting ready for bed, sometimes twice on holidays." He followed up with more questions about the raisins, and we learned she kept them in a mason jar and the the brand wasn't important.
    After the interview we asked her more questions and wondered why we didn't know about the mason jar full of raisins. Turns out she kept them hidden in her bedroom and there was a little more to it than she admitted to the young reporter. She had been toping the jar with raisins in it with Old Grand Dad Bonded Bourbon since just after prohibition "just for a little more flavor" she smiled.

To this day my friend has a mason jar full of raisins soaking in OGD BiB on his side board in memory of his grandmother.
    Great story Steve

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothAmbler View Post
    We have people come into the distillery all the time and tell us the same tale. Older folks swear that the key to good health is raisins that have been soaked in gin before bedtime. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that.
    That's what my in-laws swear by. Golden raisins soaked in Gin. It is quite well known as an alternative method to ease arthritis symptoms. Try googling it. They have experienced tremendous improvements even after a few days of it. So, they've been doing it for years now.
    - H