Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Raisins Steeped in Bourbon

Update on the 'exploding raisins'.....
    They never did explode. In fact they didn't do much more expanding at all after a couple days. They do taste fabulous! ....A topping on vanilla ice cream that can't be beat! (IMHO) ....And, the fruit flavored bourbon left behind, although somewhat cloudy, tastes interesting enough to enjoy (even though it is rather udulterated, and will never replace plain old Bourbon on my list of favorites).

Advanced Taster

Does any know if you receive the "health benefits" if you drink the bourbon and eat the raisins separately? Especially if the raisins are coated in dark chocolate!

If that is the case I have antioxidants and flavonoid a plenty.

Guru

I'm sure that theory is sound.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rndenks View Post
    Does any know if you receive the "health benefits" if you drink the bourbon and eat the raisins separately? Especially if the raisins are coated in dark chocolate!

If that is the case I have antioxidants and flavonoid a plenty.
    I'm not sure . . . but now I'm wanting to steep chocolate covered raisins in bourbon!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Mrs Emma Kate Willis, my friends grandmother lived to be 103 years old. She died about 6 years ago and was very much a part of the old south and Tallahassee's history. By all accounts and existing photos a charming, elegant and witty woman in her youth she was high spirited even in her final days.
    As she approached the century mark a local paper sent a young reporter to interview her. At some point in the interview he asked her the secret of her longetivity. We were all startled to hear her answer "raisins, I always have 6 raisins in the evening, usually as I'm getting ready for bed, sometimes twice on holidays." He followed up with more questions about the raisins, and we learned she kept them in a mason jar and the the brand wasn't important.
    After the interview we asked her more questions and wondered why we didn't know about the mason jar full of raisins. Turns out she kept them hidden in her bedroom and there was a little more to it than she admitted to the young reporter. She had been toping the jar with raisins in it with Old Grand Dad Bonded Bourbon since just after prohibition "just for a little more flavor" she smiled.

To this day my friend has a mason jar full of raisins soaking in OGD BiB on his side board in memory of his grandmother.
    Steve after you told me this I made a jar of raisins soaked in OGD 114. Figured with the extra alcohol I could preserve my self to well over 106.

Guru

funny i saw this thread today. last night i was munching on raisins and drinking KCSB and thought they were tasty together

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    funny i saw this thread today. last night i was munching on raisins and drinking KCSB and thought they were tasty together
    Aren't they? The bump here reminded me I still have a jar (almost) full in the fridge, just sitting in some OGD 114. Although some of them look more like grapes now - JOY!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

What a coincidence! I had been awaiting the right mood to attack the last of a bottle I had in the fridge with about 1.5 cups of raisins and about 2-cups of JTS Brown in it. I whaled on about half of that dude Saturday. Not the usual sort of thing for me; but tasty and different enough to make a very nice afternoon and evening.

Guru

im gonna go make a batch of these right now with some HH6

Guru

how long should I let these raisins soak? 12 hours and theyve doubled in size already.

I bet these would make some good oatmeal cookies.