Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Raisins Steeped in Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Mrs Emma Kate Willis, my friends grandmother lived to be 103 years old. She died about 6 years ago and was very much a part of the old south and Tallahassee's history. By all accounts and existing photos a charming, elegant and witty woman in her youth she was high spirited even in her final days.
    As she approached the century mark a local paper sent a young reporter to interview her. At some point in the interview he asked her the secret of her longetivity. We were all startled to hear her answer "raisins, I always have 6 raisins in the evening, usually as I'm getting ready for bed, sometimes twice on holidays." He followed up with more questions about the raisins, and we learned she kept them in a mason jar and the the brand wasn't important.
    After the interview we asked her more questions and wondered why we didn't know about the mason jar full of raisins. Turns out she kept them hidden in her bedroom and there was a little more to it than she admitted to the young reporter. She had been toping the jar with raisins in it with Old Grand Dad Bonded Bourbon since just after prohibition "just for a little more flavor" she smiled.

To this day my friend has a mason jar full of raisins soaking in OGD BiB on his side board in memory of his grandmother.
    Fantastic! I loved that story. Who could argue that she wasn't on to something when there's empirical evidence to support her claim that the "enhanced" raisins were responsible for her longevity? In the interests of science and a good, long life, I plan to hijack one of my wife's mason jars and do the same. I just have to keep my raisin-loving son away from them.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    how long should I let these raisins soak? 12 hours and theyve doubled in size already.

I bet these would make some good oatmeal cookies.
    Honestly, I left my first batch (the ones that went into the cookies) sit for several months. The ones I have in the fridge now were placed there near the start of this thread (so November?) But within just a couple of days they are delicious. I assume there is a point of diminishing returns, but I just let them sit mostly so I have them at the ready when I want some. The first batch I didn't keep refrigerated either (and now I'm trying to remember why I have this batch in the fridge? It's hell to get old, ya know?) And besides the raisins being improved, if you like sweet - the raisin infused bourbon is mega-sweet. Looking forward to that some hot day this summer
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Honestly, I left my first batch (the ones that went into the cookies) sit for several months. The ones I have in the fridge now were placed there near the start of this thread (so November?) But within just a couple of days they are delicious. I assume there is a point of diminishing returns, but I just let them sit mostly so I have them at the ready when I want some. The first batch I didn't keep refrigerated either (and now I'm trying to remember why I have this batch in the fridge? It's hell to get old, ya know?) And besides the raisins being improved, if you like sweet - the raisin infused bourbon is mega-sweet. Looking forward to that some hot day this summer
    All I want to know is whether these magic cookies are showing up on the 22nd or do I need start steeping my own raisins?
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    All I want to know is whether these magic cookies are showing up on the 22nd or do I need start steeping my own raisins?
    I can arrange for some oatmeal "raisin" cookies (although some of the raisins might not be drunk, will have to see how they measure when strained). Can also bring some of the reserved "raisin infused bourbon" (although I'll probably throw some of that into the cookies just for the hell of it).
    Gary
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain

Connoisseur

I can arrange for some oatmeal "raisin" cookies (although some of the raisins might not be drunk, will have to see how they measure when strained). Can also bring some of the reserved "raisin infused bourbon" (although I'll probably throw some of that into the cookies just for the hell of it).
    Baking geek tip: Save that and use it in place of vanilla where appropriate: cakes, cookies, homemade ice cream, etc.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    Baking geek tip: Save that and use it in place of vanilla where appropriate: cakes, cookies, homemade ice cream, etc.
    Well hot damn, I may do that with some of it! Ironically I used to bake pretty often, but trying to watch my girlish figure (and hopefully watch it transform from a Melissa McCarthy type to something closer to respectable )
    Gary

Enthusiast

Anyone remember a TV show (and book) years ago called "Death by Chocolate"? The chef created all sorts of ridiculous chocolate creations. I have the book and there is a recipe in there for Chocolate Whiskey Raisin Ice Cream. You soak the raisins overnight in whiskey (WTRB or FR work well) and then fold them into the chocolate ice cream mixture before freezing it. Totally awesome!
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Guru

Wasn't that the original idea behind rum raisin?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Operation Oatmeal *wink* Raisin Cookie was a success! Didn't have as much bourbon as I had hoped (maybe 3 oz), so bottled just under 2 oz for future baking (thanks for the tip Big Rich!) and used the rest in the cookies. Re-filled the jar, and switched to RRSmBSB for the next batch.
    Gary

Enthusiast

Hey Gary -if you ever think of why you have those in the fridge,,let me know,I made me a batch,and have just been letting it sit out on a cool shelf,my wife asked me if they would get moldy,I said I wasn't sure,but from the original post it did say that gramma left them by her bed...Anyway they are delicious even after a week,the juice was very sweet,I cut it a little bit with water and it was good.I definetly like the idea of using it in place of vanilla.I wonder how some different dried fruit would work,cranberry's, apricots?
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don