Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Familial blends that synergize like the SB blend.

I've been pretty obsessed with vatting things together lately, probably after I learned how incredible the OWA/W12 mashup is blended. I wonder, there's got to be other offerings like this, one shorter on proof or age, the other bigger and rougher, needing taming. I put together a Heaven Hill vatting like this not too long ago that I actually felt was better than the sum of its parts; some Old Heaven Hill Bonded plus Fighting Cock plus Evan Williams Single Barrel resulted in something not necessarily better than the single barrel, but definitely smoother and more complex and surprisingly delightful.

The only other one like this that I've discovered is that I LOVE Old Grand-Dad bonded mixed equal parts with Knob Creek. I just feel it reveals and enhances something in each that I don't notice while consuming each.

As I missed the Four Roses 125th this year and don't really want to plunk down $50 on a bottle of the single barrel in Oregon (not that its not good, but its around thirty bucks elsewhere) so I've been messing with Bulleit, Bulleit 10 year, and FRYL in differing parts, trying to reveal something not seen in either. It still needs work. Also, upon revisiting, I forgot how much I like Bulleit. I never even think about drinking it, but it was hitting the spot last night unbelievably, and then made a rather mind-blowing old-fashioned.

Guru

Re: Familial blends that synergize like the SB blend.

Try one part Grand Dad 114 with two parts 80 proof Benchmark.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

I love experimenting with different vattings and different ratios - lots of fun! Unfortunately, I haven't found one I like as much as the SB Blend (60/40 ratio with more OWA). I haven't given up, just haven't found one I love enough to buy two 750s for the sole intention of vatting them. That is the only reason I buy W12 (not that it isn't decent on its own, but I just don't find I reach for it on its own very much). Please share what you've tried and liked!

Squire - I may have to pick up some Benchmark just to try that
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Another good vatting is Bakers and OGD114. And I think this Dickel-Ritt BiB blend will work nicely once I get the proportions right.

Virtuoso

This one is a dusty vatting -- OGD BiB and OGD 86 both from ND -- 1:1.

This one is on my vatting notes from a few years ago when all this was available and not crazy expensive. Not familial but it works;
    Equal parts Vintage 23 Rye, Saz 18 Rye and High West 21.

Enthusiast

I do quite a bit of vatting with HH bourbons with general success. There is no real rhyme or reason to it, but often I just want to consolidate bottles, and my HH bottles are good candidates. I've topped off Old Fitz 1849 with Larceny. I've topped off Henry McKenna BIB with PHC blend of mashbills. I've used EWSB in a similar fashion with success as well.

Guru

Yes, well generally, if you like the stuff that went in you'll like the blend.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

Interesting topic. I vat (actually, just blend in a glass) a lot of stuff, primarily adding a straight rye to bourbon to spice it up. So, a lot of it is two family blends with the exception of blending EC12 with ECBP and WTR101 with WT101.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Sometimes I vat because I don't like the stuff going in. Recently, a Beam White seemed very heavy on the "funky yeast" while a Buffalo Trace showed considerable dankness, a throwback as generally I find the palate of all BT today quite clean.

It took about an 8 bourbon vatting to completely efface these characteristics, others used included Triple A, EC 12, Jack Daniels Sinatra, and WT 81 bourbon and rye. Clearly the constituents all have a say but they meld in a way completely different to each on its own. Usually you need at least three or four going on to achieve this. Result is a clean, deep "Kentucky" palate with a lot of velvet on the palate.

Gary

Enthusiast