Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Guru

Re: Familial blends that synergize like the SB blend.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    This one is a dusty vatting -- OGD BiB and OGD 86 both from ND -- 1:1.

This one is on my vatting notes from a few years ago when all this was available and not crazy expensive. Not familial but it works;
    Equal parts Vintage 23 Rye, Saz 18 Rye and High West 21.
    I've done this with Hirsch22:Saz18 in a 1:1 proportion and it's really good - probably even better if I add some HW21 into that mix to stretch out the wood a little... Thanks for the idea!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

I like to make a Bourye with AE bourbon and AE rye. So far only tried it 1:1, but it's really nice! The dry bourbon is picked up by the sweet & spicy rye, and the sweetness of the rye is mellowed out by the bourbon.

I have more rye than bourbon, so after the bourbon is gone I will probably try mixing the AE Rye with other LDI ryes. I find the the AE Rye too sweet and most LDI ryes too thin so I think it should work nicely. Makes the AE Rye more than an after dinner digestif.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    give it time, there will be something named as such. First there was small batch, then single barrel, then limited edition....what's next in the 'look-what-I'VE-got' category?
    That's not Four Roses' game. They release great whiskey. Their releases have been exceptional. Despite the long names, they are the last to blame.
    Jim

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by hn4bourbon View Post
    That might be a possible marketing strategy for 4roses. Blend your own! Not that people are not doing it already but they can definitely make a push from marketing end. They could start out by sharing some example recipes and the masses can go crazy with it.
    If they ran this the same way as the private barrel selections, I wonder how much of a premium they would have to charge for a private small batch? I guess it comes down to the smallest size batch they can blend, at an economically feasible cost.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

Virtuoso

When some of the local boys were at HH picking barrels for their retail store they happened to mix the top two picks into one glass. They thought the result was better than either alone so they requested their two barrels be mingled before bottling. The result was a very small batch of EC12. They really didn't give a thought to ratios or how much was in each barrel so the result was pretty much left to chance. The result was good Bourbon.
    Barrels that have been mingled and then left to age somewhat longer - ie the old Rye residing at KBD - seem to have a good track record. Every instance I have heard of has been familial batching. Seems there could be some interesting juice produced by cross family mingling and additional aging.

Perhaps a NDP has done the same and has barrels resting that will produce something special.

Would be very interested in the result of an interesting Bourye mingling put to rest in second use barrels for a number of extra years.
    Last edited by sailor22; 12-03-2013 at 05:53.

Advanced Taster

Julio's did a micro batch of 2 OWA barrels. The results were quite nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    One whiskey for every ghost.

Virtuoso

4 roses single and OGD 114. 50/50. Pretty damn good.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Connoisseur

As far from a familial blend as possible, but didn't want to start a new thread when this one was close enough. Did a little Gillmamizing tonight. ECBP was tasting a little rye spicy tonight, so I mixed a little AE Rye. The irony that I mixed a rye into a bourbon that was tasting a little too spicey is not lost on me, but the AE rye is all maple syrup and sweet candy to me. The high proof of the ECBP mixed with the liquid candy AE worked really well. Not one I would want to hit all the time but worked for me tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I've done this with Hirsch22:Saz18 in a 1:1 proportion and it's really good
    We may have had this discussion, but by chance have you tasted the Hirsch/Saz blend side by side with VWFRR?
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel