Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Familial blends that synergize like the SB blend.

Loves me some WT American Spirit BUT I wish it had a less dry finish. Sweeter and longer would be just the ticket.
    What would you vat with it to get that result? Suggested ratios.

I'm down to my last few bottles of this and don't have unlimited juice to experiment with so would like to get close on one of the first few tries.

Connoisseur

American Spirit with Tradition, equal parts. I reviewed these side by side on here a while back, and the 50/50 vatting was my favorite.

Virtuoso

Not stellar, but better than the sum of its parts: WTRB and WTRR (both recent bottlings) at about 2:1. Made the RB less harsh and the RR less boring.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    I did the same, and was very pleased with the results. Mixed the batch 1 ECBP with a store single barrel EC12, creating a very nice 114 proof bourbon. Then I couldn't leave well enough alone, and tried diluting what I had left in the vatting further with water, and that was an unmitigated failure. Gotta be careful with this vatting business... I'll probably do the 1:1 vatting again with a batch 3 bottle yet to be opened.
    I'm with you one this one jeffery. I have vatted the BP with a store selection of the 12, with very pleasing results. I think the 12 has too thin of a mouth feel and too low of proof . The BP has that wondrous, thick, chewy mouth feel, but the high proof is an asskicker. Together, a truly outstanding HH bourbon.

I have not tried cutting the ECBP with water, but since I have EC12 available, why should I?
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Enthusiast

I still do a house blend of two parts VOB BIB to one part OGD BIB. I like it a lot, but the synergy brings up a mild funky-ish note, almost buttery. It may not be for everyone. But they're both high in rye and work well together, and it's very inexpensive.

Last night on a whim I did a very rough (unmeasured) 1:1 of EC18 and Johnny Drum 101. They work well together, but both are HH distillate so they probably should. (At least I presume the Drum is HH, coming as it does from KBD.)

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I was introduced to WT 101 in the mid 60s so the whisky would've been distilled in the late 50s when work was still done by hand rather than relying on computer controls. The brand stayed remarkably consistent for decades thereafter but changes in recent years have shifted the flavor profile, and not for the better.
    Did they introduce computer controls in recent years? I figure the new distillery is topped to the gills with them.

I've half a mind to buy a case of 101 now and put it away for a few years just in case the make of the new distillery is inferior to the old. My guess, though, is that as the new distillate comes of age they'll vat it with the old distillery's bourbon in varying proportions until the market is weaned onto the new stuff.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post
    My guess, though, is that as the new distillate comes of age they'll vat it with the old distillery's bourbon in varying proportions until the market is weaned onto the new stuff.
    My understanding is that's what was done with the PVW 15 (and maybe others too) until 2011 was the first year of all BT juice. Even their "weaning" couldn't keep the difference from being obvious.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
    My understanding is that's what was done with the PVW 15 (and maybe others too) until 2011 was the first year of all BT juice. Even their "weaning" couldn't keep the difference from being obvious.
    It may well be different but the new all BT PVW15 is pretty darn good as well!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

TPS is no longer available to me, but I've always wanted to play around with vatting different proportions of the 10 recipes.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    TPS is no longer available to me, but I've always wanted to play around with vatting different proportions of the 10 recipes.
    Would you not end up with Yellow Label?
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.