Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,490

    Re: Good "Makers v Fakers' Article in Dallas Observer

    Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    No offense, but it isn't the same. People that don't live in Texas usually don't get it..but ask someone that has moved to Texas from another state. They will tell you they never understood what the big deal was until after you have lived here for a while. Winning your independence by fighting for it and then existing as your own country (and also many other thing) creates an inherit DNA that you just can't recreate elsewhere.
    Vermont and California were sovereign nations too. I've lived here for over a decade now and still "don't get it."
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

  2. #22
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,723

    Re: Good "Makers v Fakers' Article in Dallas Observer

    Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Vermont and California were sovereign nations too. I've lived here for over a decade now and still "don't get it."
    Actually, I thought the following quote reflected the American revolution. "Winning your independence by fighting for it and then existing as your own country (and also many other thing) creates an inherit DNA that you just can't recreate elsewhere." It's all good though. I actually understand what he is saying. Everyone has a sense of pride in their heritage and Texas has a great heritage.

  3. #23
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Commonwealth of KY
    Posts
    3,188

    Re: Good "Makers v Fakers' Article in Dallas Observer

    Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    The fellow Old Ags will get this.. "Highway 6 runs both ways"
    Ha!

    To be fair she is a contrary b!tch.

  4. #24
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,109

    Re: Good "Makers v Fakers' Article in Dallas Observer

    Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    The fellow Old Ags will get this.. "Highway 6 runs both ways"
    Folks in Atlanta (an incredibly transient city) have a similar saying for those who long for their homes and ways up North, with a saying based on the long-time tag-line of homegrown Delta Airlines. "Delta is ready when you are!"
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  5. #25
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,490

    Re: Good "Makers v Fakers' Article in Dallas Observer

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Ha!

    To be fair she is a contrary b!tch.
    She sounds hot.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

  6. #26
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    306

    Re: Good "Makers v Fakers' Article in Dallas Observer

    Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    The fellow Old Ags will get this.. "Highway 6 runs both ways"


    I think a lot of the mindset comes from the sheer size of Texas. For most Texans, its at least a couple hours to get out of the state, and then another couple hours to get to a decent sized city in the next state. You can drive 9 hours, see mountains, hill country, prairies, the piney woods, the gulf coast, and never be within a 1 hour drive of another state. Texas has to be more self sufficient than most states out of necessity.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

  7. #27
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Suburbs of Houston, Texas
    Posts
    503

    Re: Good "Makers v Fakers' Article in Dallas Observer

    Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Vermont and California were sovereign nations too. I've lived here for over a decade now and still "don't get it."
    They didn't fight for their independence....

    Well there is still hope for you..at least you like bourbon, nobody's perfect LOL

  8. #28
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Suburbs of Houston, Texas
    Posts
    503

    Re: Good "Makers v Fakers' Article in Dallas Observer

    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum View Post


    I think a lot of the mindset comes from the sheer size of Texas. For most Texans, its at least a couple hours to get out of the state, and then another couple hours to get to a decent sized city in the next state. You can drive 9 hours, see mountains, hill country, prairies, the piney woods, the gulf coast, and never be within a 1 hour drive of another state. Texas has to be more self sufficient than most states out of necessity.
    Yeah that's certainly part of it..

  9. #29
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Good "Makers v Fakers' Article in Dallas Observer

    It's an identity thing.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

  10. #30
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Suburbs of Houston, Texas
    Posts
    503

    Re: Good "Makers v Fakers' Article in Dallas Observer

    Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    Actually, I thought the following quote reflected the American revolution. "Winning your independence by fighting for it and then existing as your own country (and also many other thing) creates an inherit DNA that you just can't recreate elsewhere." It's all good though. I actually understand what he is saying. Everyone has a sense of pride in their heritage and Texas has a great heritage.
    I hope everyone realizes that we (at least me) are just messin' with you. We Texans do have a great sense of pride but I have been in all but 2 states and have found things I like about them all...

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. "Article" about Larceny creates my question about Old Fitzgerald
    By SFS in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-04-2013, 17:51
  2. News article on "white whiskey" growth
    By Jono in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-19-2011, 11:16
  3. Before Makers' Mark, it was not OK for bourbon to taste good!
    By BBQ+Bourbon in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 03-06-2010, 10:12
  4. Good dusty hunting in Dallas/Ft Worth area?
    By Ruby K in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 14:17
  5. travel chanel's "Made in America" to show Makers Mark on Tues. 1/31
    By ThomasH in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-01-2006, 09:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top