Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Southern Belle Red

I'm sure plenty of you have heard and may have even tasted the Southern Belle Shiraz which was aged in Pappy Van Winkle barrels, but does anyone here have any experience with the Southern Belle red wine?

I picked up a bottle tonight, and haven't been able to find anything about it online. I was looking for the Shiraz, but found this. Bottle says it's from Spain and is a 2011 vintage that weighs in a little over 16 percent alcohol.

Virtuoso

Re: Southern Belle Red

The most info I could find on it is here on CellarTracker: https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1697876

Connoisseur

That links says it is Jumilla. Jumilla produces a few decent bottles, but most of what the region produces tends to be bulk wine. I am guessing that the lack of info and need for a gimmicky finish means it is bulk (i.e. cheap table wine). If you are interested in a good Spanish wine, go grab a nice Reserva/Gran Reserva Rioja or Ribera del Duero.

I tried it when a rep brought it in. It wasn't the worst wine a rep has brought in. But it wasn't a great value either. If it was a $12 retail, I would have brought it in. But at $20ish, it's in a crowded price point for an average wine.

Guru

I enjoyed it, but know very little about/am not the most discerning wine drinker. :/

Trippah and Admin

According to my wine salesman brother in-law, the winery that released the Van Winkle finished Shiraz went out of business. I think there is a story behind his failure, so I will have to ask him over dinner today.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

And it was an Australian Shiraz. From McLaren Vale. And the price point would have been closer to $25 than $20.

Trippah and Admin

My brother is law, for all of his quirks, is damn sharp when it comes to wine. I asked him what the deal was with R Wines and he rattled off the names of the principals (Ringland and Philips) and said that there was a real mess with the downturn leaving some big unpaid bills in Australia and he's now selling wine out of Spain.

Here's a Wine Spectator article from 2010 about the financial problems. http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/43140

I've held on to most of the case of the original Shiraz that I bought and I'm itching to open another bottle soon. It goes great with hearty foods like beef stew or pot roast and is definitely a Winter wine for me.

It's disappointing if the version out of Spain isn't up to the earlier release.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

Thanks for the info, Scott.

Taster

Aha. Thanks for the info. I'll have to report back when I've tried it.