Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 12/2013: Lagavulin

Yeti, I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the gentlemanly 16 vs the beastly 12. I seem to be in the minority that prefers the 16.

That said, I also have a special fondness for the 16 as it the bottle that really got me into this whole whisky thing. I can still remember how nervous and exhilarated I felt back in the day when I purchased my first Lagavulin 16, dropping $60 on a single bottle - it was by far my most expensive purchase to date.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 12-01-2013 at 08:48.

Guru

Baby steps on a long journey, as near as I can recall my first Lagavulin was 10 or 12 years old and 94 proof, but that was quite awhile back.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Baby steps on a long journey, as near as I can recall my first Lagavulin was 10 or 12 years old and 94 proof, but that was quite awhile back.
    That is stuff I would love to try. Those old Lagavulin White Horse 12s from 70s and early 80s distillate sell for ~$1200 now. Now if I could just track down a bottle of Malt Mill too!
    Last edited by LostBottle; 12-01-2013 at 08:58.

Guru

Good Heavens, we griped about having to pay $21.99.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Good Heavens, we griped about having to pay $21.99.
    Thank you for reaffirming my decision to bunker things.

Virtuoso

Things got a little loose and I only wound up drinking the 12 DE and 11 CS. Both were very satisfying. The CS was so briny and salty, but extremely stoppable for the proof. The DE was shockingly light, as I hadn't had a pour under 90 proof in a pretty long time. However, the nose and palate were wonderful. A lot of dark and baking chocolates mixed with the earth and smoke.

I followed the DE with a "hunch" pour of Galileo and it was pretty similar. A tad sweeter and lacking depth, comparatively, but with a better body from the higher proof. I'll get a 16 open tomorrow and focus more on Lag specific comparisons.

Connoisseur

I've been a Lagavulin 16 fan since around 1992 when a salesman in the liquor dept at Harrod's recommended it. "Just get it", he said, "it's different." So I did.
    A friend and I drove around clearing Binny's shelves of L 16 several years ago when they had the shortage--that's how much we like it.

"A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Yeti, I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the gentlemanly 16 vs the beastly 12. I seem to be in the minority that prefers the 16.

That said, I also have a special fondness for the 16 as it the bottle that really got me into this whole whisky thing. I can still remember how nervous and exhilarated I felt back in the day when I purchased my first Lagavulin 16, dropping $60 on a single bottle - it was by far my most expensive purchase to date.
    I'm with you. I prefer the 16 to most 12yr CS's I've had. The 16's strike me as more complex with additional layers and depth when compared to the 12's.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    I've been a Lagavulin 16 fan since around 1992 when a salesman in the liquor dept at Harrod's recommended it. "Just get it", he said, "it's different." So I did.
    A friend and I drove around clearing Binny's shelves of L 16 several years ago when they had the shortage--that's how much we like it.

Nice story.

I blame Tom Helt for introducing me to Lag 16. I'll never forget the first time I tried it down in his basement. It was love at first sip....

Been a peat freak ever since.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Virtuoso

Doing a brand new 16 and 2012 CS SBS. The 16 does seem less special than my memory of a bottle last year in this setting. It's sweeter, but I wouldn't say more complex. The two together are doing interesting things as the salty and sweet collide. Got a big shot of cinnamon which has never struck me before.

I thought the interplay between the two was a lot of fun, so I dumped the last half ounce of each glass together. Meh, it's tasty, but not any better than either individual part. Of the four bottles I have I think the DE might be my favorite, but just barely, over either CS.