Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 12/2013: Lagavulin

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    At Costco today they have Lag16 on sale for $55, cheapest I've seen it.

I have a couple bottles, so passed on it for now, but...probably will grab a couple for good measure or maybe as gifts.
    Wow. Great deal at $55! I don't even think our Costco even has the stuff but I'll be looking today, that's for sure.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Wow. Great deal at $55! I don't even think our Costco even has the stuff but I'll be looking today, that's for sure.
    Thanks to the heads up from RTVsteve I went and picked up a bottle for $55 yesterday. They even had Oban 14 for $47.99! I know this is not a favorite here but I very much enjoy that whiskey and in WA it can be above $100 after tax!

As for the topic at hand, my wife will be opening the 200ml Lag to taste and I'll give it a try when I get back. If we like it I'll keep the bottle I bought here, if not I'll give it as a gift. Speaking of the wife, I'm trying to talk her into getting her own account here and posting since she enjoys scotch so much and does a much better job writing tasting notes. I would just have to be careful what I post, sometimes I buy bottles and she may not be the first one informed

Enthusiast

I want to suggest that we get this thread stickied as current FWOTM, and unsticky the past threads as they are starting to drive the active topics pretty far down the page.

As for Lagavulin, I think it's funny how so many of us can cite it as the bottle that started our love affairs. I had had some Macallan, Glenfiddich, blends, etc.. and then I had finally heard enough about Lagavulin 16yo to spring for one. It was probably twice as much as I had ever spent on a bottle of liquor (those were the days! lol). It really opened my eyes to whats possible with whisky. After that I had to keep searching for new tastes, branched to more categories, and started breaking down my price barriers. Still love Lagavulin!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    I want to suggest that we get this thread stickied as current FWOTM, and unsticky the past threads as they are starting to drive the active topics pretty far down the page.

As for Lagavulin, I think it's funny how so many of us can cite it as the bottle that started our love affairs. I had had some Macallan, Glenfiddich, blends, etc.. and then I had finally heard enough about Lagavulin 16yo to spring for one. It was probably twice as much as I had ever spent on a bottle of liquor (those were the days! lol). It really opened my eyes to whats possible with whisky. After that I had to keep searching for new tastes, branched to more categories, and started breaking down my price barriers. Still love Lagavulin!
    Maybe keep the three past months at the top and let the rest float on down stream? They should be pretty easy to find with a search. Or create a sticky post along with the most current three months that keeps a running list of what has been FWOM in the past?

Speaking of which, it might be time for a FWOM for outside Caledonia and the Hebrides! Redbreast perhaps???
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    My bad, It has been STUCK. We keep all them stuck so they all stay near the top and are easy to find, but thanks for pointing it out!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur

Just realized I have a bottle of 16 from the BIL last christmas that is still unopened. Will have to fix that soon.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Hah! That's just farkin' awesome!

I'm sipping a little pour from a sample of the Lagavulin 12 2011... I really enjoy this one as there's a little bit of a funkiness going on - I thought I had a bottle of this in my bunker but checked today and realized I had the 2010 Lagavulin 12 instead.
    That's funny. Tonight I thought I had a Lag 16 open and a Lag 12 2012 unopened. turns out I have a Lag 12 2012 opened (in its box) and a Lag 12 2011 unopened sitting on top of it... not sure why. Now the 2011 is in a 2012 box and the 2012 is in my glass. Great stuff. For the higher proof you can barely tell, but it's got all the smoke and peat and some sweetness that gives way to an amazing finish with smoke and brine that I keep getting more from.

Also went back and grabbed a couple Lag16's at costco during the sale. Glad some others took advantage as well.

Guru

I've been going back and forth between sample bottles of the Lagavulin 12 2011 & 2012 - I think I like the 2011 better (a little bit funkier) but they're both surprisingly sweet to my palate.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Thanks to the heads up from RTVsteve I went and picked up a bottle for $55 yesterday. They even had Oban 14 for $47.99! I know this is not a favorite here but I very much enjoy that whiskey and in WA it can be above $100 after tax!
    Huge fan of Oban 14 year, Love that stuff for the price. When it makes it's way to FWoTM I will open a 1969 32 year old.

I've came to the conclusion I probably drink too much CS stuff and that's why the Lag16 seems watery to me. I'll find a 12 year this weekend and open it, or break down and open a 2012 Jazz bottling.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    Huge fan of Oban 14 year, Love that stuff for the price. When it makes it's way to FWoTM I will open a 1969 32 year old.

I've came to the conclusion I probably drink too much CS stuff and that's why the Lag16 seems watery to me. I'll find a 12 year this weekend and open it, or break down and open a 2012 Jazz bottling.
    Man, I bet that '69 Oban would be wonderful. I've only had the regular release and an 18 year at a whiskey extravaganza, but I don't remember any details about the 18 year. I spoke to one of the guys at K&L and he told me there was nothing in current production similar to Oban 14 until you get to the much older expressions. That made me very sad, I love that soft peat base, it just brings the whole dram together.