Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Connoisseur

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 12/2013: Lagavulin

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    OB Lagavulin Jazz 1995 / 2013 - 51.9%
    (Freshly opened bottle)

N: Smoke, peat, faint generic fruit (gets stronger after more than 10 minutes), iodine, dried straw bales, seaweed lavers

P: Flinty smokiness, tobacco, peat, alternates between sweet & salty (occasionally at the same time), bacon bits, small amount of sherry/dried fruit

F: Slight bitterness but mostly an extension of the palate with more sweetness as the brine subsides - long

I tried to read everything, but sort of got stuck on BACON!!!!!
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

(Freshly opened bottle)

N: Smoke, peat, faint generic fruit (gets stronger after more than 10 minutes), iodine, dried straw bales, seaweed lavers

P: Flinty smokiness, tobacco, peat, alternates between sweet & salty (occasionally at the same time), bacon bits, small amount of sherry/dried fruit

F: Slight bitterness but mostly an extension of the palate with more sweetness as the brine subsides - long
    Great notes Johnny. I'll try to put up some notes for this one too soon, I definitely got more tobacco on the nose, and honestly the nose to me was the best part, but I find that to be the case with a lot of whiskies, particularly Lagavulin so far. I am still a newbie when it comes to Single Malt though.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Enthusiast

(Freshly opened bottle)

I've been jonsing to get my hands on a bottle of Jazz Fest or Feis Ile and this doesn't help. I love a "meaty" single malt. Great notes.
    Justin

Enthusiast

I cracked open a 2013 Lag 12 and its really fantastic. The nose out of the gate is smokey, but it settles in the glass and becomes more maritime with a little citrus sweetness. On the palate its strong and smokey. The smoke is a natural fire smoke (no char or ash). After the smoke, citrus, white chocolate and sea salt follow. A little white pepper too. The finish is long and lingers, and as the smoke fades the brine holds for a little while longer slightly drying out the tongue.

This is really great stuff and in a different league from the 2012. I poured a little 2012 just to compare and it was a no contest. The 2013 kind of reminds me of the 2010 as far as quality and vibrancy. It makes the unobtainiaum aspect of PE a little easier to cope with.

I know it may be blasphemy, but I'd love to try an unpeated version of this, for, you know...science.

Either way, this is a great dram.
    Justin

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
    I cracked open a 2013 Lag 12 and its really fantastic. The nose out of the gate is smokey, but it settles in the glass and becomes more maritime with a little citrus sweetness. On the palate its strong and smokey. The smoke is a natural fire smoke (no char or ash). After the smoke, citrus, white chocolate and sea salt follow. A little white pepper too. The finish is long and lingers, and as the smoke fades the brine holds for a little while longer slightly drying out the tongue.

This is really great stuff and in a different league from the 2012. I poured a little 2012 just to compare and it was a no contest. The 2013 kind of reminds me of the 2010 as far as quality and vibrancy. It makes the unobtainiaum aspect of PE a little easier to cope with.

I know it may be blasphemy, but I'd love to try an unpeated version of this, for, you know...science.

Either way, this is a great dram.
    I don't know. I may have to pick up one of these after all... Despite my previous lambasting of Lagavulin, the morning after I poured the last of my Lag 16, the glass smelled absolutely divine. It's hard to live in a world without Lagavulin after all.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    It's hard to live in a world without Lagavulin after all.
    ABSOLUTELY! I once thought I could....but the wisp of smoke that continued to linger around the lonesome empty was too much to continue to ignore and even harder to overcome.
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I don't know. I may have to pick up one of these after all... Despite my previous lambasting of Lagavulin, the morning after I poured the last of my Lag 16, the glass smelled absolutely divine. It's hard to live in a world without Lagavulin after all.
    Agree. It's hard to beat Lagavulin IMHO.....I haven't had a bad pour yet. And as much as I praise Ardbeg, I can't say the same thing about them.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Connoisseur

I bought a bottle of Lag 16 2 weeks ago. So far, it's bland, just faint smoke and a little iodine and minerals, with some simple syrup where the sherry would be.

The best experience I've ever had with whisky was the first time I had Lag 16. This sucks.

bottle code reads L3266CMOOO 06027325