Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 12/13: J.W. Dant BIB

This is one that got me interested in bourbon. Back in the 1990s, I think the Dant I was getting must have been some "glut" whiskey. It really seemed older than four years old. Joe's description is spot on. To me, the current Dant is ok, but not better or worse than four year old HH BIB or JTS Brown. It's still a lot of bang for your buck. I think the calico corn on the label is cool too.

Enthusiast

SO the Whiskey tree has Dant as Heaven Hills rye bourbon, with the same recipe as a host of other whiskey. Is the only real variation amongst all of the HH BIB's in barrel location or some other method of selecting a flavor profile?

Connoisseur

Dant and some others are 4 YO. Some, like HH White, are 6YO. McKenna BIB is 10 YO. So, it's not just location but age as well.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Connoisseur

I think it has to do with HH having rickhouses in different locations, different levels in the same rickhouse, and barrel selection. Some BIBs are older too, such as HH 6 year, and McKenna (10 year). Old Fitz is the only one they have with with a different mashbill.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    Is the only real variation amongst all of the HH BIB's in barrel location or some other method of selecting a flavor profile?
    Pretty much, variations on a theme if you like, but be mindful HH has something like a million barrels aging in different warehouses in different locations so they can blend to match a lot of profiles.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

I've had Dant's from BT, DSP-KY-2, old HH, and new HH. My favorites so far have been the 2/31's and the 2/16's. I will post some reviews later this week when I get some slow time to relax with a few pours.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Enthusiast

had my first pour of this tonight, its sweet and corny, but not in a bad way. It doesn't remind me of EW BIB as much as I thought it would, but blindfolded I would have said it was Heaven Hill whiskey, at least I like to think I would

Guru

That's my take on Dant, not the same as Evan Williams but identifiably in the Heaven Hill family.

Advanced Taster

I have a bottle of new make Dant that I picked up on sale for $10, but haven't cracked it yet for comparison. The bottle of DSP-2 (forget where it was bottled) it had went down like liquid candy. It was dangerously easy to drink. I had a rough morning after drinking at least half the bottle the night before, which is probably why I've stayed away from it since :P

Guru

Hope you're not too disappointed, that older version had a lot of admiring fans.