Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: BOTM 12/13: J.W. Dant BIB

I have only tasted the current version in the past 5 years or so. I really like the stuff. The only reason I stopped buying it is because I can get 4 year old HH bonded for $10 a L vs. the Dant BIB at $20. The Dant is a tough find in MN and seems to be getting more scarce. I like Dant BIB on the rocks and have had nice old fashioneds and Manhattans with it. There is enough rye to make it decent in a mix. It will be interesting to see what the powers that be do with some of these quality yet "bottom shelf" brands. I seem to really like many of them.

Guru

I've also seen that (Florida I think) Dant marked up quite a bit. Doesn't make sense, locally the Dant BIB is less than EW white label BIB.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Dant BIB has become the "table bourbon" in my house. I tried the current version back to back with current EW BIB and they were nearly indistinguishable. Since the EW is $12 for 750 mL and I can buy handles of Dant for $24, but Dant is clearly the better buy. Its big brother Henry McKenna BIB has also become a house favorite these last few weeks, but that is nearly twice the price of the Dant.

Guru

Table Bourbon, that's a good description of the role Dant serves.

Enthusiast

Ok ok. This thread has put me on a mission to grab a bottle.

Virtuoso

IMHO - The bottles labeled DSP 113 and bottled at DSP 113 or CA 14 Fresno California are excellent. Fruity and complex. The 2/16 is a good and a worthy pick up. I think the descriptions that have been posted of the current juice are accurate and table Bourbon suits.

Is it fair to describe Dant as Heaven Hill's Ancient Age? Both decent if not overly impressive value priced pours. Both seem to have most of the basic characteristics that the distillery is known for. Which you prefer is down to the individual palate.

Guru

More noted perhaps for what it isn't (high price fancied up) than what it is, I wonder if 10 years from now we might be talking about the good old days when you could get a BIB for $10.99 a bottle.

Connoisseur

I've had some 113/113 that was just vile, ended up dumping the small bottle for drain cleaner and felt bad for the drain.... I like your comparison Sailor and the term table bourbon.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    I've had some 113/113 that was just vile, ended up dumping the small bottle for drain cleaner and felt bad for the drain....
    Have never had one that was labeled as 113/113 without the "or 14 Fresno California". I would say it may have been corked but they all I have seen have those old style metal screw tops under the tax strips. Shoot the next 113 you run across to me and I'll test it first....

Guru

You can route it through here on the way if you like.