Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 12/13: J.W. Dant BIB

The 113/113 was a 200ml, probably stored badly, but BalconesWinston, TimD, and I were in attendance when opened. I can't remember if it had Fresno, CA on it or not. A 375 from another store was very good, but bottled at a different distillery (can't remember, but I think it was Indiana 2?).

tasting notes from a 2/31, bottled around 1993: nose is sharp upon first pouring, glue, vanillas, and with air time it becomes caramel, vanilla, a touch of wood, and a hint of glue.

taste: nice balance of sweet, cinnamon red hots, and a touch of bitter. Coats your tongue nicely, cinnamons linger.

Finish: lingers beautifully, cinnamon tapers slowly, leaving a sweet finale. Satisfying comfort bourbon!

for $23 a liter, I'm a fan!
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Virtuoso

I completely forgot about a 200ml of DSP 113 Dant I had packed away. Got it out today for a little tasting. This one was bottled at DSP 16.
    It's surprisingly woody on the nose and that note carries through on the palate. There's a nice hit of sweet creamed corn and a little spice in the background but not much else. The finish is very short aside from a faint candy sweetness that lingers for a bit. It's nothing stellar, but would make for a decent daily drinker if it were still around.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

I have a bottle of 2/16 opened for over 6 months now. It has what looks to be a tax stamp on the shoulder of the bottle. I was impressed with it when I first opened it. I just haven't revisited it in a while. This thread would be great motivation for a revisit.

I have another bottle that I haven't opened but I know is a more recent bottle. I'll have to check what dsp numbers are on that bottle.
    - H

Apprentice

This is one that I enjoy as my everyday sipper. It's got a good, basic bourbon flavor and is very satisfying. Glad to have found it earlier this year.
    White House petition: http://wh.gov/PP0H

Disciple

Looks like I am going to have to buy a handle to try this. It's only available at one of my two weekly stops.

Enthusiast

Passed on a bottle of this in Eugene earlier this week and wish that I wouldn't have. It was ~$13, one of the cheapest if not the cheapest bonded bourbon in our fine state.

Someday someone will do an epic blind side-by-side of all of the Heaven Hill BIBs. It would be fascinating.

Connoisseur

I really enjoy Dant for what it is - affordable, quality everyday pour. I can't get it out here in California but I've ordered it online before. I can get EW BiB though, which I've been told is basically the same exact stuff, so I'll be drinking that instead for now. Cheers!

Guru

Not exactly the same thing but close enough.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

I have never been fortunate enough to have a dusty Dant, but I think the current Dant BIB is good stuff for the price.

Connoisseur

Last summer I had some Dant BIB from the late 50's-early 60's. Warm buttery Carmel molasses bomb. I tried everything to get the guy who had it to give me the other two bottles. He wasn't interested. He just liked mixing that and the crown from the same era with a Sprite and Coke. I had nightmares for weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk