Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

W.L. Weller Special Reserve - 375ml

I just picked up two flask style bottles of WLW Special Reserve from my local store and they said something about it being an old bourbon that was just released out to the stores. It is a 7 y/o 90 proof bottle with a green cap and a white label. The label definitely could be aged from the 90s and I can read the following numbers off that back that are printed on the outside of the bottle.

X119X (I think the first X is a 2 and the second is a 9, but I can't be sure.)

The X's denote where the number has rubbed off and I can't read it.

Anyone know anything about this whiskey? My store was telling people that it is old SW juice that was bottled in the 90s.

Thanks and happy thanksgiving.

Advanced Taster

Re: W.L. Weller Special Reserve - 375ml

Does it say Louisville or Frankfort on the front label? If Louisville, then yes probably S-W. If Frankfort, doubtful.

Disciple

Just curious, what store did you buy it at? PM me if you don't want to publicly disclose.

I ask because I recently bought a couple of similar bottles. My bottles have SWD on the bottom of the front label and indicate they were distilled in Louisville. The store where I bought them thought they had been bottled in 1999 which would have put distillation at 1992 or slightly earlier since they are 7 year age stated WSR.

1115132133a.jpg1115132133b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JVande View Post
    Does it say Louisville or Frankfort on the front label? If Louisville, then yes probably S-W. If Frankfort, doubtful.

I says Louisville on the label and judging by how the label looks I think it is reasonable to say that it is from 99.

photo.JPG

and also says COPYR. 1941 - SWD INC in the bottom right.

Guru

That label was used until 2009-ish when OWA and WSR both got makeovers. Jvande's statement is accurate.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Advanced Taster

Concur w/ Joe and Vande. (Same holds true as to mbroo's finds, I'd say, w/ the supporting evidence for him of that nice 88076 UPC.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virtuoso

I understand a distributor in IN found a few cases of this stuff, from '99. It was from a transitional period for the brand and likely contains some S-W as well as juice from other distilleries. Who knows though. How's it taste?
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I understand a distributor in IN found a few cases of this stuff, from '99. It was from a transitional period for the brand and likely contains some S-W as well as juice from other distilleries. Who knows though. How's it taste?
    It smelled like a magic marker when I first opened it. I let it sit for about 45 minutes and then checked it again and it smelled like butterscotch and toffee, very appealing. I did a tasting SBS with WL12 and OWA, the latter two are recent versions. It was a little hotter than I expected for 90 proof but matched up well with the WL12. The next day, I checked again and it had an even stronger butterscotch and toffee smell. The taste improved as well. It has a thick, oily feel with a butterscotch and toffee taste. I like it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    It has a thick, oily feel with a butterscotch and toffee taste. I like it.
    Sounds like it has some S-W in there to me. Enjoy.

Edit: I hope you guys are paying the same price as you would for the current stuff, or very close to it. It's not worth much of a premium to me.
    Last edited by smknjoe; 11-28-2013 at 15:39.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.