Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Washington D.C. bourbon help?

Thanks for all the great information and discussion. It is appreciated!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    They make a hard case liquor carrier for check in luggage. Go to winecruzer.com
    Spendy little suckers! I think I will stick with my homemade versions. So far it has never lost a bottle.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Spendy little suckers! I think I will stick with my homemade versions. So far it has never lost a bottle.
    True they are expensive and you could go to your local home depot and buy all the stuff to make one a lot cheaper.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

the williets choices were insane at Jack Rose. Also had a good selection of Japanese scotch.

Enthusiast

Ah, speaking of Willets, Bourbon Steak at the Four Seasons in Georgetown had a very nice selection the last time I was in there. Which was pretty much the only time I was in there. I don't have that readily accessible an expense account

Enthusiast

Yeah,
    if you are into the Willet bottlings, DC has an extremely good selection. Unfortunately Jack Rose ran out of the Velvet Glove the last time I visited.
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Advanced Taster

In case anyone cares, here are my thoughts.

I was able to hit up both Jack Rose and Bourbon during my time there. Bourbon was ok. Again, I don't see much of the BTAC or higher end stuff around here so I had a pour of the ORVW 10 yr. and the W.L. Weller. I'd had the 10 year before and really liked it so I wanted to have some more. Never had the WLW before and wow...it was tasty. Right before I left the bartender gave me a small taste of one of the many Willett's on hand but I can't remember which one. It was so loud in there I couldn't hear what she was saying. It was very good but I had to run off. Place was busy and my only major problem was the craptastic music they were playing. I sat at the bar downstairs and it sounded like a terrible dance club in there.

Jack Rose was great. I ate and the food was pretty good. I had a pour of the Rock Hill Farms and the Jefferson's 17 year. That Jeff's was really interesting, maple syrup bomb on my unrefined palate. Bartenders were friendly and just reading their list was fun. Looks great too with all the bottles on the walls. I'd definitely go back to Jack Rose but iffy on Bourbon.

The bar attached to my hotel had a decent, small selection of bourbons as well. By the end of my stay, the bartenders knew my FRSB order. Anyway, I appreciate the input, thanks!

Virtuoso

This is a good thread of information.

Has anyone been to the Columbia Room or Passenger and can share thoughts? - http://www.laughingcocktail.com/projects/

Best regards, Tony

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    This is a good thread of information.

Has anyone been to the Columbia Room or Passenger and can share thoughts? - http://www.laughingcocktail.com/projects/

Best regards, Tony
    I've been to Columbia Room. It is a speakeasy inside the Passenger. The cocktail tasting menu is terrific and consists of three drinks and an accompanying snack. The first two drinks are designed by the mixologist and the last drink is crafted to your specifications. It isn't cheap (~$69), but it is well worth going once.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalwildcat View Post
    I've been to Columbia Room. It is a speakeasy inside the Passenger. The cocktail tasting menu is terrific and consists of three drinks and an accompanying snack. The first two drinks are designed by the mixologist and the last drink is crafted to your specifications. It isn't cheap (~$69), but it is well worth going once.
    The Columbia Room sounds cool and if it was just me I would do this, but I will be with my son and I do not think he would enjoy three cocktails, maybe we will just go to The Passnger.

Thanks for the help.

Best regards, Tony