Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    2,930

    A Midwinters Night Dram - variation by Act?

    As this is now being released nationally, curious if anyone has had a chance to taste multiple "Acts", and if so - if they've noticed any variation. Because if there is, we have to geek out to find out which is the BEST one, right?
    Gary (aka 'Country')
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

  2. #2
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    889

    Re: A Midwinters Night Dram - variation by Act?

    Absolutely. Let me know when you see it locally and I'll help accumulate the "sample population".
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

  3. #3
    Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    2,930

    Re: A Midwinters Night Dram - variation by Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    Absolutely. Let me know when you see it locally and I'll help accumulate the "sample population".
    I haven't seen it here, but saw Mark pick one up recently (assuming that was local). Hoping he can make it out in November - maybe Mr. Perkins will have a bottle and we could setup a three-way . . . of the whiskey (just to be clear)
    Gary (aka 'Country')
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

  4. #4
    Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    ATL - Decatur
    Posts
    69

    Re: A Midwinters Night Dram - variation by Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I haven't seen it here, but saw Mark pick one up recently (assuming that was local). Hoping he can make it out in November - maybe Mr. Perkins will have a bottle and we could setup a three-way . . . of the whiskey (just to be clear)
    Have you found any yet? It's all around my area in ATL. I picked up a bottle, but I've yet to open it. PM me if you are searching for one.

  5. #5
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,411

    Re: A Midwinters Night Dram - variation by Act?

    I have Act 1 and have seen Act 2.3 and possibly 2.4 around town. Have only tried the Act 1 bottle so far.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  6. #6
    Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    2,930

    Re: A Midwinters Night Dram - variation by Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Good Sir View Post
    Have you found any yet? It's all around my area in ATL. I picked up a bottle, but I've yet to open it. PM me if you are searching for one.
    I haven't picked another up yet, but some friends have picked up at least one variation - and hopefully we will have a chance in early November to do some sbs comparisons!
    Gary (aka 'Country')
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

  7. #7
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,448

    Re: A Midwinters Night Dram - variation by Act?

    Just a heads up to Maryland folk: I saw this in Baltimore for $69 today. Looked like there was plenty. Shoot me a PM if you want the location.
    Eric

  8. #8
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    180

    Re: A Midwinters Night Dram - variation by Act?

    The rumoured difference is that the Act 2 and later batches spent less time in the port and french oak barrels--so the re-barreling influence will be milder. Not sure if this is true or born out by blind taste-tested. I can just say that I really enjoyed Act 2.2 and it's a bottle I keep going back to.

  9. #9
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Columbus, IN
    Posts
    818

    A Midwinters Night Dram - variation by Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by soonami View Post
    The rumoured difference is that the Act 2 and later batches spent less time in the port and french oak barrels--so the re-barreling influence will be milder. Not sure if this is true or born out by blind taste-tested. I can just say that I really enjoyed Act 2.2 and it's a bottle I keep going back to.
    That's good to hear. I've been reluctant to purchase the newer batches and have been putting off opening my last batch 1.

  10. #10
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NWGA
    Posts
    2,574

    Re: A Midwinters Night Dram - variation by Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    As this is now being released nationally, curious if anyone has had a chance to taste multiple "Acts", and if so - if they've noticed any variation. Because if there is, we have to geek out to find out which is the BEST one, right?
    The best one is the one I have, 2.3 , and I'm going to buy another bottle for the bunker.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. High West Bug Juice? Midwinter Night's Dram
    By ChainWhip in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-20-2014, 20:01
  2. Day-To-Day Variation In Taste?
    By QiCultivator in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 05:59
  3. Jefferson's Ocean - Bottle variation?
    By passthebourbon in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-29-2012, 14:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top