Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

A Midwinters Night Dram - variation by Act?

As this is now being released nationally, curious if anyone has had a chance to taste multiple "Acts", and if so - if they've noticed any variation. Because if there is, we have to geek out to find out which is the BEST one, right?
    Gary (aka 'Country')
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Re: A Midwinters Night Dram - variation by Act?

Absolutely. Let me know when you see it locally and I'll help accumulate the "sample population".
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    Absolutely. Let me know when you see it locally and I'll help accumulate the "sample population".
    I haven't seen it here, but saw Mark pick one up recently (assuming that was local). Hoping he can make it out in November - maybe Mr. Perkins will have a bottle and we could setup a three-way . . . of the whiskey (just to be clear)
    Gary (aka 'Country')
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I haven't seen it here, but saw Mark pick one up recently (assuming that was local). Hoping he can make it out in November - maybe Mr. Perkins will have a bottle and we could setup a three-way . . . of the whiskey (just to be clear)
    Have you found any yet? It's all around my area in ATL. I picked up a bottle, but I've yet to open it. PM me if you are searching for one.

Guru

I have Act 1 and have seen Act 2.3 and possibly 2.4 around town. Have only tried the Act 1 bottle so far.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Sir View Post
    Have you found any yet? It's all around my area in ATL. I picked up a bottle, but I've yet to open it. PM me if you are searching for one.
    I haven't picked another up yet, but some friends have picked up at least one variation - and hopefully we will have a chance in early November to do some sbs comparisons!
    Gary (aka 'Country')

Virtuoso

Just a heads up to Maryland folk: I saw this in Baltimore for $69 today. Looked like there was plenty. Shoot me a PM if you want the location.
    Eric

Advanced Taster

The rumoured difference is that the Act 2 and later batches spent less time in the port and french oak barrels--so the re-barreling influence will be milder. Not sure if this is true or born out by blind taste-tested. I can just say that I really enjoyed Act 2.2 and it's a bottle I keep going back to.

Connoisseur

A Midwinters Night Dram - variation by Act?

Quote Originally Posted by soonami View Post
    The rumoured difference is that the Act 2 and later batches spent less time in the port and french oak barrels--so the re-barreling influence will be milder. Not sure if this is true or born out by blind taste-tested. I can just say that I really enjoyed Act 2.2 and it's a bottle I keep going back to.
    That's good to hear. I've been reluctant to purchase the newer batches and have been putting off opening my last batch 1.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    As this is now being released nationally, curious if anyone has had a chance to taste multiple "Acts", and if so - if they've noticed any variation. Because if there is, we have to geek out to find out which is the BEST one, right?
    The best one is the one I have, 2.3 , and I'm going to buy another bottle for the bunker.