Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Guru

Re: 13th Colony Southern Rye

Thank you James, that's very useful.
    Last edited by squire; 07-21-2014 at 11:21.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Novice

I also snagged a few pictures while at the distillery this past weekend.

Volume 1 137.jpg
    Our President and CEO standing with our still.

Volume 1 160.jpg
    A closer shot of our still.

Volume 1 057.jpg
    Our bottling line.

Volume 1 184.jpg
    Our head distiller with our barrels full of aging whiskey.

Guru

Thanks for the information update and the pics James.

Guru

Thanks for the follow up James. Perhaps my bottle was part of the early experimentation of the mashbill formula.

If you have time to explore here a bit you will likely find that we are not at all surprised by the rather labyrinthine process of label approval by the TTB! At least it is a good thing that the extensive approval process helps insure that the TTB always gets it right for the benefit and well being of the consumer...

Quote Originally Posted by James13th View Post

Distilled by vs. Produced by on label: We were unaware of the possible negative connotation with that verbiage. When we started this distillery, we were new to this industry. It has definitely been a learning process. While we may make that change to our label eventually, you would be surprised with the costs associated to make that change, not to mention the process of government label approval.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thanks for your continued participation, James, and for taking the time in providing all of the additional info. Whiskey Geeks like us love info straight from the source, and we appreciate your insight. Speaking for myself, I really like what I have heard about your operation and look forward to further exploring your products. Please keep us up to speed on what y'all are working on at 13th Colony, and please jump in all of the other threads, as well.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

I had recently posted in another forum that I bought a bottle of this, more as a novelty than anything else as its not something I ever see on the shelves in these parts. I was unaware of this thread. I just had one pour to check it out and do not have any detailed tasting notes, but I did enjoy it. I'm still relatively new to rye and trying to fully explore exactly what I like (everything from more expensive pours like THH to Bulleit) and what I don't (Rittenhouse just doesn't do the job for me). I tend to like the higher rye mashbills and thought the 13th Colony was a bit tastier than the basic MGP releases, but I also paid a bit more for it than I can get a Templeton or Bulleit around here.

Taster

Well now that I've finally sipped my way through half a bottle of this rye, I thought I'd post about it again. Thank you James for your patience and openness about the product. I know we can be a fussy bunch here on the forum, and you have been quite informative.
    I will get right to it and say that of all the different rye whiskeys that I've tried, this has become my favorite. Many others are decent and make a good Manhattan. Some are good for sipping on their own too, but they are usually prohibitively expensive. What we have here is a genuine micro distilled rye whiskey that is well balanced, flavorful and reasonably priced. Yes, I know its only 2 yrs old. And the purists will bristle at the use of French spirals. But the proof is in the tasting and the smelling. I'm not going to go in to tasting notes and all that. But let me just say that I would not hesitate to recommend this rye whiskey.
    Congrats to James and everyone at 13th Colony for producing an honest quality product they can be very proud of.

Advanced Taster

I'll have to pass. My memories of Americus are tainted with recollections of getting our azz handed to us by the Southland Football team while the school heavy metal band played AC/DC and the Darth Vader theme to their crowd in the stands. I think it was Homecoming too. It doesn't beat another Homecoming where were we also got victimized in Damascus GA where ammo was raffled off at halftime.

Brutal!

Advanced Taster

Edit: (which I can't seem to do in the above thread) Next time I am back in Mactown (next to Wartown), I'll have to see if I can acquire a bottle. It sounds like ya'll have more experience in the "production" rather than the "legal" side of things if you know what I mean. Is this a "traditonal" family business? I have a had some olde thyme "artisan" spirits from the Vidalia area that were pretty tasty.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Vadertime; 10-09-2014 at 01:51.

Enthusiast

Very interesting thread and a bit late on my part but welcome James and many thanks for your information. I became aware of 13th colony years ago just after they started up but didn't see anything on local shelves and they fell off my radar. having just read through this whole thread I am intrigued and look forward to tasting some of the 13th colony products now that they are readily available.