Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: 13th Colony Southern Rye

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    It did make it to the last GBS gathering. It wasn't terrible but I wasn't particularly impressed either. I think Gary may have tried it as well. The one I had is most certainly from MGPI despite what the distillery may claim about making their own.

Still some speculation about whether they are now making and/or bottling their own make of this which is what they claim. They never bothered to respond to my emails so they are pretty much on my list of things not to make any effort to seek out or buy again at the moment even if it was good.
    I did try it, and IIRC I also wasn't impressed, as I didn't make any notes to pick one up. For $30 or less, if I thought it was half-way decent, I probably would have made a note - since there are so few rye options out there. No specific notes unfortunately - sorry!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Just returned from a trip to the corner shop, where there was a 13 Colony Sales Rep present to talk about their products. He swears up and down that both the rye and bourbon are produced and distilled entirely at their facility in Americus. I asked him no less than 8 times, referring him to our discussions here, and that I was skeptical. Emphatically stated they distilled and aged it. He also welcomed GBS for a tour, which I would love to do. A very nice gentleman who appeared to know his stuff and spoke learnedly about the whiskey biz. I have to say that I believe him. I've sent him a follow-up email, and hope to have more conversations with him soon. Also, invited him to join us here and chime in. I hope he does.

Rye: Just under 3 years in new charred AWO barrels; 96% Rye, 4% Barley, 95 Proof
    Bourbon: Aged 4 years; 70% Corn, 25% Rye, 5% Barley; 95 Proof

I look
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

GBS road trip, man you guys know how to live.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    GBS road trip, man you guys know how to live.
    I was just thinking "So - when do we do a road trip?" That is outside the Uber coverage area though, so sampling will need to be minimal.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Just returned from a trip to the corner shop, where there was a 13 Colony Sales Rep present to talk about their products. He swears up and down that both the rye and bourbon are produced and distilled entirely at their facility in Americus. I asked him no less than 8 times, referring him to our discussions here, and that I was skeptical. Emphatically stated they distilled and aged it. He also welcomed GBS for a tour, which I would love to do. A very nice gentleman who appeared to know his stuff and spoke learnedly about the whiskey biz. I have to say that I believe him. I've sent him a follow-up email, and hope to have more conversations with him soon. Also, invited him to join us here and chime in. I hope he does.

Rye: Just under 3 years in new charred AWO barrels; 96% Rye, 4% Barley, 95 Proof

I look
    Maybe they do now. But they sure as heck didn't always despite claims to the contrary. In September 2013 for example.

Does that mashbill by chance look familiar???

13th Colony rye 5.JPG

Add that to the fact that they never bothered to respond to repeated email inquiries and I feel no need to give them any benefit of the doubt whatsoever!

Which doesn't mean I wouldn't be up for a road trip. In fact I believe I may have already suggested a road trip although I certainly can't find that post now of course!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

So when you guys go on a road trip, does the goat ride in a trailer or in the extended cab of the pick up?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    So when you guys go on a road trip, does the goat ride in a trailer or in the extended cab of the pick up?
    This time of year it will probably be the early 70's bourbon colored Caddy El Dorado rag top and the goat doesn't let anyone drive that one but him...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Plenty bottles of both the bourbon and the rye on the shelves here. I'm guessing they may end up staying on the shelf longer than they did in the barrel.

Guru

Very astute observation TT.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post

I look
    Since you asked eight times, was one of your formulations "Why did you decide to use the same rather unusual mash bills as MGP of Indiana for both of your products?"