Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: 13th Colony Southern Rye

I asked Larry Ebersold, who was master distiller at Lawrenceburg under Seagram's and developed the 95% rye recipe, about the small amount of malt. He said that's enough. Why that's enough is because they use supplemental enzymes. They are not using malted rye. I know this because Ebersold told me the original recipe was 100% rye, 5% of which was malted, but the accountants decided malted rye was too expensive.

Perhaps because of the success of MGP's rye, micro-distilleries have duplicated that mash bill. There's nothing wrong with that.

Guru

Frankly I think we make a bit too much about mash bills at times, it's what the distillery does with it that counts. Give two master bakers exactly the same ingredients and they will produce different loaves of bread. Even if a micro chooses to use the MGP recipe they won't make the same whisky.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Frankly I think we make a bit too much about mash bills at times, it's what the distillery does with it that counts. Give two master bakers exactly the same ingredients and they will produce different loaves of bread. Even if a micro chooses to use the MGP recipe they won't make the same whisky.
    Sir, mashbill is everything! I mean, are you claiming that there wouldn't be a difference between a 95% Rye and a 96% Rye?!?!?! (wait . . . for me tat is probably true )

I definitely look forward to a GBS road trip down to see the 13th Colony operation. That always leads to great questions. Glad to have James on the board and contributing too!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Disciple

Well Jame's participation has got my couriosity up so I will be getting a bottle this week.

Guru

Great idea TT, let's be novel and start with tasting notes.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Well, if someone in the GBS has or wants to pick up a bottle of the newer label 13th Colony Rye that presumably is the 96/4 mashbill finished in French Oak then I am more than happy to share mine for a side by side tasting!

I am still a bit puzzled by a distillery that has made some effort to emphasize that they distill what they sell but has elected not to say "Distilled By" on the label. Maybe the distillery is just unaware of the negative connotation "Produced By" has, at least amongst the "enthusiast" crowd here.

But I am glad to have James on board here and welcome the opportunity to have him tell us a little more about their whiskey.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

Maybe on the road trip y'all are planning you can explain the importance of the term "distilled by" to someone that may end up changing the label.

Disciple

Passed on this one yesterday because it appears to be the earlier version. A lot of dust on all the bottles and no mention of French Oak on the labels.

My dealer did say she would try and get some of the new bottles and I thought that was very nice since she already has so much sitting on the shelves.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Passed on this one yesterday because it appears to be the earlier version. A lot of dust on all the bottles and no mention of French Oak on the labels.

My dealer did say she would try and get some of the new bottles and I thought that was very nice since she already has so much sitting on the shelves.
    Unfortunately, other than the new label, there does not seem to be any way to tell when the whiskey was made or if the rye is indeed finished in French oak other than looking at the website. Not even sure when the new style label went into affect. Seems like they might want to promote that feature but you wouldn't know it from the label. No batch number, date or any indication of the age is written or printed on the label, whether it be a new one or an old one.

I don't think that would be my approach but then it is not my money invested in the business so they get to call the shots!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Novice

As promised, I have returned with some more information and answers to your questions.

The Southern Rye Label: I want to clarify that there is not a difference in recipe from our old label vs. the new label. Only the label changed to give it a more consistent look with our Southern Bourbon. The new label does have the batch and bottle number on the side though, which the old label did not have. The new labels began hitting the market approximately around April of 2014.
    Distilled by vs. Produced by on label: We were unaware of the possible negative connotation with that verbiage. When we started this distillery, we were new to this industry. It has definitely been a learning process. While we may make that change to our label eventually, you would be surprised with the costs associated to make that change, not to mention the process of government label approval.
    TunnelTiger, where do you prefer to shop? I would like to stop by and thank them for their support and show them some TLC. I will say that rye whiskeys as a whole tend to move a little slower once you get outside the Atlanta 285 perimeter, as opposed to the inner city.

Why did we choose the 96% Rye and 4% malted Barley recipe? When we decided to make Rye whiskey, we wanted to use the highest amount of Rye that we could without adding extra enzymes to the mash. After doing research and a little trial and error, we landed at 96% Rye.

The website says French oak barrels: Thank you for pointing that out to us. We have a 3rd party that helps us with our website, and sometimes there may be small miscommunications. I have pointed out the error to our team, and the correction will be made soon. Our Southern Rye is aged in charred new American white oak barrels, and then finished with toasted French Oak spirals for the last six months of the aging process.

How did we land at 70% Corn, 25% Rye, and 5% malted Barley for our Southern Bourbon recipe? As you can imagine, since we grow our own corn as well as source it from other local surrounding farmers, Corn is our least costly ingredient. We wanted to produce a tasty bourbon that could be sipped neat or with a splash of water or ice, which we could sell at a price that would not price us out of the market for the masses. We want everyone to be able to enjoy our Southern Bourbon, no matter their budget. We were able to achieve that with this mash bill, while producing a quality bourbon that we are proud of.