Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: An Old Friend came to visit

Did GD12 change recently, or was it just a minor label change?

It's been so long since I had any Tennessee whiskey, I really ought to buy a bottle or two and reintroduce myself to the style.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Minor label change. Juice still tastes the same

Guru

As nearly as I can tell Dickel has remained largely unchanged since even its Pre-Prohibition days.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    GD and JD are totally different flavor profiles. Interesting that they both share the Lincoln County Process, and designations as "Tennessee Whiskey", but are as different as night and day. I would say that the Daniel's is closer to a "standard" bourbon profile (if there is such a thing), while the Dickel has that strange "vitamin" note that (which I appreciate as a house style, and quite enjoy), that sets it out a bit. I have always thought that the house style of Dickel would make it more approachable to Scotch drinkers. Though I prefer GD of the two, both are fine whiskies, in my opinion. If you start bringin' JD Silver Select into the equation...then the tables probably turn...
    Vitamin note is a great way to describe it, I have been struggling with a descriptor since buying my first bottle recently and this is it. That being said it is a very nice whiskey and will more than likely become a regular purchase.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Try the two blended, it's the Tennessee Waltz. I like 2:1 Jack to George, in fact it reminds me more of JD 30 years ago.

I believe it was Jeff Yeast, a BOTY whom we rarely see on the board today, who first used the term "vitamins" to describe the GD palate, and so true it is. But when you blend it with the Jack in the proportion suggested, the vitamins are ingested in the blend to do their good work so to speak and you don't notice it. At the same time, the rich yellow fruit/earthy taste of Jack is brought down a notch.

Gary

Enthusiast

Sounds like a combination worth trying Gillman, cheers.
    Come to think of it the character of JD is such that it would probably make some really interesting vattings, im going to try vatting with bulleit rye, I find bulleit rye makes an ordinary cocktail base on its own, taking the rye percentage down might help, I think a JD/bulleit sazerac is on the cards.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    The best way to drink Jack is out of a half pint bottle followed by a slug of coke at a football game.
    I prefer to chase it with Mountain Dew, which I really don't care for otherwise. It just seems to bring out the best flavors of each.

I've never been an JD drinker, but every once in a while I get an itch for it with a twist of lime. I used pick up a 375 once a year or so, but my wife kept tossing it out. She swears she can smell the bananas through a closed bottle.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    That's my feeling, too. Solid pour. Nothing wrong with JD in my book. I don't buy it by the bottle, but have no problem with drinking it, while out.
    Same here...unless I'm at Joe's house then I sneak into his bourbon dungeon for other tasty delights.

Generally, I don't buy Jack but I'll never turn down an offered glass.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Interesting about the bananas comments. Maybe I am getting used to JD because I almost don't see it anymore, there is a fruity taste but I can't distinguish peach from banana from papaya anymore. Maybe it's me, but I do feel too the brand has improved significantly in recent years. It's not just the release of higher proof versions including SB in the last 10 years, the batches are being selected more carefully IMO, and therefore, I wonder if people are basing more on experience of some years back (with which I fully agree). Anyway good to see the comments that people mostly won't refuse a glass, I agree with that since it is a characterful whiskey although understandably not everyone will select it as a favourite.

You guys who do the local get-togethers (wish I could join you), why don't you do a blind tasting of bourbons and a JD, ideally SB or an 86 or 90 but even the 80 if necessary? As long as all the proofs are in the ballpark it shouldn't matter. It would be interesting to hear the results. You could either tell people a Jack is included, or not.

Gary

Guru

I would certainly include it in a blind tasting.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.