Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Profile

Taster

Looking for comments on bourbons with same type of profile as WTRB and RRSB which I am currently enjoying as my favorites to this point?

Enthusiast

Re: Profile

At least to me, wild Turkey has a distinct profile so you may want to look at other offerings from them to get a similar profile. Kentucky spirit is pretty good. Now those are at or near barrel strength so you may want to look at other full proof options as well. Things like Elijah Craig Barrel Strength, Bookers, and Stagg Jr.

Enthusiast

I have had exactly one bottle each of RRSB 10yo and KCSB 9yo, but they are pretty similar tasting to me.
    Of course the Knob is 120 pf, so add some water to compare. BTW, I like both of them a lot.

You might want to give something from Four Roses a try Bluffhunter. Both WT and FR are fairly high rye bourbons.

And before anyone jumps in to chastise me, I'm simply speaking in general terms here. I tend to think most people would agree that FR and WT share the basic similarity of a higher rye content in their mash bills.

Wait for itů...
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

I agree with you. I'll also add that I just recently tried the E mashbill (OESO to be exact) which is Four Roses' lower rye mashbill and it's great. You don't get the same vanilla that WT has but you do get sweet caramel and spice from the rye just like WT. I like the B mashbill too it's just not as sweet typically.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bluffhunter View Post
    Looking for comments on bourbons with same type of profile as WTRB and RRSB which I am currently enjoying as my favorites to this point?
    It might help if you told us what you perceive as the "type of profile as WTRB and RRSB." I, for one, find a big difference between those two. What are the characteristics you like? Do you want to be whacked up side the head (WTRB) or are you looking for something more restrained (RR)?
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Taster

I guess both for the vanilla/caramel nose and taste with a little kick but yet being smooth and also the thicker chewy mouthfeel I get from the Single Barrel and the Rare Breed.
    Last edited by Bluffhunter; 01-03-2014 at 12:47.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    You might want to give something from Four Roses a try Bluffhunter. Both WT and FR are fairly high rye bourbons.

And before anyone jumps in to chastise me, I'm simply speaking in general terms here. I tend to think most people would agree that FR and WT share the basic similarity of a higher rye content in their mash bills.

Wait for itů...
    WT I've had from the 70s especially always reminded me of FR.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

Try Smooth Ambler Old Scout bourbon. The 6/7 year bottles have a very high 36% rye content, and the Old Scout Ten isn't entirely unlike a mature WT101.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Bluffhunter View Post
    I guess both for the vanilla/caramel nose and taste with a little kick but yet being smooth and also the thicker chewy mouthfeel I get from the Single Barrel and the Rare Breed.
    Hard to beat the ECBP (Elijah Craig Barrel Proof) based on what you just stated. Just add a good amount of water, 20-30%.

Four Roses (SB or SmB) is always solid. Limited Edition will be stellar but expensive.