Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: Disappointment of the year?

just picked up a case of AAA 10 year old for a cool $8.57 per bottle guy was happy to dump it lol

Apprentice

my dis appointment of the year was eagle rare 10yr,waste of $30,could got a bottle of elmer for that,it is just sitting now till warmer and i can wash my car with it lol

Guru

That car old enough to drink?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    That car old enough to drink?

lol no it is going on 4

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by thurst63 View Post
    my dis appointment of the year was eagle rare 10yr,waste of $30,could got a bottle of elmer for that,it is just sitting now till warmer and i can wash my car with it lol
    Never tried ER 10 and here's why: It just seems like posts I read about it range from your experience to ones like "well its not too bad but definitely not worth the price." So thanks to you and others for saving me some dough.

Guru

You can't trust anyone's tastes but your own. There are some people here who really like ER10. I haven't had it myself, but I've seen it for around $22 - $26 here.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    It was good, it was a classic, then it changed. The BIB statement was dropped, it became 93 proof, then 86, now the legal minimum of 80. Age was gradually reduced until now it's measured in months rather than years.

Sad really, and a prime example of what happens when the "age doesn't matter' and "our customers prefer lower proof anyway" crowd get their hands on a once proud brand.
    Thanks for the background on this, Squire. Beam has so many brands that the cynical side of me wonders if they aren't just trying to kill this one off. They already have their yellow label rye that competes in the value brand category and holds up IMHO as a decent pour, so maybe they decided they just don't need OO.

Taster

[QUOTE=smknjoe;389657]You can't trust anyone's tastes but your own.

Well I can't argue too much with that. Everyone's palate is so individual and I have tried some pours where I almost wonder if someone else actually tasted the same whiskey I am because our experiences and opinions are so different. It is one of the reasons that I just wish there were a lot more half bottles or better yet quarter bottles or nips available to try things out in small quantities.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by thurst63 View Post
    I've had 2 bottles in the last year and have really enjoyed both at about $22. I like ETL as well as W12, KCSB and EWSB (to name a few).

I'd have to say that my disappointment of the year was ECBP137. In contrast to most of what I've observed on SB, I enjoyed Stagg Jr (134.4) much more. I found the ECBP to be hot with too much citrus. Stagg Jr was drinkable at bottle proof with dark fruit, cocoa and tobacco… fantastic!

I've only been exploring whiskey for a couple of years and I find a wide variety of preferences. It's one of the aspects that makes it fun for me. I'm curious to know what you didn't like about EC10. I find that it has a cocoa, tobacco and dark fruit profile that I like.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Merrymash Monk View Post
    Never tried ER 10 and here's why: It just seems like posts I read about it range from your experience to ones like "well its not too bad but definitely not worth the price." So thanks to you and others for saving me some dough.
    I have only tried standard ER10 once and nothing stood out to make me select it over other options in the price range. However, I will say that I have found private selection bottles that I have enjoyed and feel are worth more than the price I paid ($25 to $35). The cool thing about private selections is that generally you can try before you buy.