Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Disappointment of the year?

I've been racking my brain to think of a "new" pour that left me really disappointed this year. The only one that comes to mind is HMcK1B (which as a 1B is inevitably variable).
    Like everyone else, I'm disappointed that the secondary market makes it way more difficult to get some of the special releases. But looking back on 2013 - if my only disappointment was a less-than-stellar sb pick at under $35 - it was a pretty freaking good year! ECBP walked into my life, along with the GBS ETL (and the whole experience of picking that with many great folks on SB.com!), FR125, Bambi, and a few others.

Oh wait - American Spirit Whiskey . . . after hearing the tale of Michael J Flynn, I was expecting something truly stupendous, but that really let me down
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Taster

Bulleit Bourbon 10 year old IMHO. I purchased Bulleit Bourbon and liked it. But the 10 year is not worth almost twice the price. In fact, I prefer the regular Bulleit Bourbon.

The other thing is what has been said...shortages. But what I don't understand, and maybe you can explain it to me is the rational behind shortages.

I know you can't make a 20 year bourbon age quicker. But I read in Whisky Advocate (in different article when they interview major distillers) that they knew whiskey was getting hot in the late 70's, early 80's.
    So doing the math, that is 33 years ago. You would think the storages would begin to ease, instead they seem to be getting worse. Somehow $$$ must be involved. But not sure of the logical and how it works.
    If every store got 20 bottles of Pappy 15 (as an example) instead of 2 bottles, they could sell it at $100 and people would be happy to get a bottle.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonGuy View Post
    The other thing is what has been said...shortages. But what I don't understand, and maybe you can explain it to me is the rational behind shortages. . . . .You would think the shortages would begin to ease, instead they seem to be getting worse. Somehow $$$ must be involved.
    'Ya think? . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

The spillover of the BX/secondary market into formerly mid-range products that were once relatively easy to find - like OFBB.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by nd2005 View Post
    The spillover of the BX/secondary market into formerly mid-range products that were once relatively easy to find - like OFBB.
    I second this...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by nd2005 View Post
    Could be, but the fact that this year's OFBB was just so dam good, certainly helped moved it faster, unlike in other years it was nice, but not bunker hoarding worthy.

Our course, the market is hot for anything right now, and that moves product too.

it's the best of times, and its the worst of times.........

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonGuy View Post
    Bulleit Bourbon 10 year old IMHO. I purchased Bulleit Bourbon and liked it. But the 10 year is not worth almost twice the price. In fact, I prefer the regular Bulleit Bourbon.

The other thing is what has been said...shortages. But what I don't understand, and maybe you can explain it to me is the rational behind shortages.

I know you can't make a 20 year bourbon age quicker. But I read in Whisky Advocate (in different article when they interview major distillers) that they knew whiskey was getting hot in the late 70's, early 80's.
    So doing the math, that is 33 years ago. You would think the storages would begin to ease, instead they seem to be getting worse. Somehow $$$ must be involved. But not sure of the logical and how it works.
    If every store got 20 bottles of Pappy 15 (as an example) instead of 2 bottles, they could sell it at $100 and people would be happy to get a bottle.
    Agreed on that Bulleit 10yr... tried a pour at a bar before a Pearl Jam concert a few weeks ago, and found it to be pretty much horrible. I do enjoy the standard Bulleit, so it was an odd experience.

BTW... this bar was named Whiskey Rose, and had a crappier whiskey selection than a standard franchise sports bar. Idiots.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    Could be, but the fact that this year's OFBB was just so dam good, certainly helped moved it faster, unlike in other years it was nice, but not bunker hoarding worthy.
    In my local area, there has not been a limited release product (Van Winkle, BTAC, 4R, Stagg Jr, ECBP, OFBB, PHC, etc) that has lasted for > 24 hours on the shelf. One store sold their OFBB allotment in 1 hour.

I don't think that is due to the relative quality of '12 vs '13 OFBB.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    proliferation of honey, cherry, apple pie, magpie; but then the bourbon guys need to make $$ from the masses to afford to produce the good stuff for us.
    +1 Here here; this is insane. understandable, but insane.

Guru

I am disappointed that I get disappointed with my whisky disappointments.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof