Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Novice

Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 years old

Bottle E1793 47.8% alcohol by volume.

Tasted straight.

Very dark rich brown with substantial mahogany overtones.

Nose is simply stunning. Incredibly rich and spicy - like WT101 increased by an order of magnitude. Clove, touch anise, substantial vanilla (like sniffing a good bean, not extract). Some sweet bread notes - slightly doughy. Lovely citric sharpness cuts through it all.

Intense citric sweetness leads the initial palate attack. Its surprisingly light on in its feet. The mid-palate is full, but not heavy, with the citrus and spice soaring over the deep vanilla bass notes. Finish just goes on and on with slowly diminishing intensity. Satiny. Wow.

Many thanks to those who reccomended this one to me after my post on the Old Grand Dad BIB.

Cheers,

Dave

Enthusiast

Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 years old

Dave,

The VWFR Rye 13 YO really is a superb tasting rye. I have not had any that is better. I love the combination of flavors and aromas. Thanks for sharing your impressions!

Bob

Administrator in exile

Glad you liked it Dave VWFRR is, in my opinion, one of the best whiskies being produced anywhere. The fact that it bears a strong resemblance to bourbon makes that an even stronger statement

Guru

Thanks for letting us know what you thought of it Dave. It is my favorite rye with Sazerac 18 following close behind. Like Jeff said, VWFRR is made even better by sharing such a closeness to bourbon

Glad to see others note the VWFRR 13yo's resemblance to bourbon -- I generally alternate between it and whatever bourbon I have open (currently, coincidentally, it's the VWSR Lot B 12yo) so that I don't overtaste either one and burn it out before the bottle's gone. Since I'm a fairly light sipper, that generally takes quite a while. But, in any case, let me throw in, too, with y'all that the VW rye is a fine whiskey.

Advanced Taster

I tell ya. My taster must be off becuase I really did not get what everyone is saying there. Either I am getting a cold or I need to take a few days off and start over. I was not disappointed with my taste of this last night, but I just didn't get it, may I need to get used to rye, maybe I just need to give it a chance...Of course I'll give it a chance, it'd be rude of me not to!

Advanced Taster

I finally had opportunity to buy and open a bottle of the VWFRR last night (thanks again to Wadewood!). I have to say: wow.

A bright, cool mouthfeel. Minty and fruity, with a finish that echoes for many long minutes. Incredibly good.

I can't imagine a rye being better than this, but I look forward to eventually getting my hands on some Sazerac (also hard to come by in Washington State).

Advanced Taster

Clayton,

Also thanks to wadewood, I picked up 2 bottles yesterday. I am holding off opening it tho until I get thru a few open bottles of bourbon I need to finish. Looking forward to comparing it to WT Rye.

Advanced Taster

Tasted the VWFRR Rye yesterday. VERY much like a bourbon. In fact, it is so different than the WT Rye, that my first instinct was that a bourbon was accidentally bottled in the Rye bottle. Will have to explore this furhter, but for now, I like the WT Rye better for a rye whiskey. YMMV.

Advanced Taster

I know I'm in the minority here, but the WT Rye does it for me more than the VWFRR. The VWFRR is enjoyable, but just comes across as confused - it can't decide if it's a bourbon or a rye whiskey when I sip it. An interesting pour, none the less.