Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Michters 20?

Enthusiast

Michters 20?

Worth it? Reviews, comparisons? Read a decent amount about the possibilities of it being SW, curious to what other members think as I am about to get a couple for sub $450. I hear it's amazing so I wanted some, better barrels, 12-13 which barrel?

Thanks guys! Merry Christmas!

Guru

Re: Michters 20?

The fact it may contain (some?) SW distillate and is 20 years old doesn't justify that sort of price to me. SW made a lot of ordinary whisky, (most of it, actually), particularly in the later years after the cost cutters got a grasp on the place.

Older doesn't mean better. Generally speaking a Bourbon barreled in a new cask then aged for 20 years is going to be too woody to be pleasantly drinkable. Of course there are technical ways to filter out a lot of the tannins prior to bottling but that's just a means of correcting a deficiency in the product.

If I were looking to buy a special bottle for the holidays it would be something like the Four Roses LEs, Parker Heritage, BTAC, that sort of thing. I certainly wouldn't pay hundreds for a bottle of unknown provenance to people who didn't even make the whisky.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

I understand where you are coming from, but I only hear great things about it. I've got plenty of the ones you mentioned bunkered up, this is my kinda unicorn I suppose to while I agree its high it's worth it for me to at least get my hands on a couple or just one. I appreciate the response squire, the decision isn't because it may or may not have SW it's because I want it. ;-)

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by autiger23 View Post
    the decision isn't because it may or may not have SW it's because I want it. ;-)
    Thats a good enough reason for me. Be sure to post some notes if you do manage to get your hands on one.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by autiger23 View Post
    I appreciate the response squire, the decision isn't because it may or may not have SW it's because I want it.
    Excellent reason, please post some tasting notes.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.