Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Distillery of the year?

Since we are pondering the virtues of bourbon of the year, why not discuss the status and state of the bourbon houses....those genteel purveyors of fine spirits, many of whom are near and dear to our hearts?

At this moment in time....who is doing it very well, fairly well or not well at all? The world wants to know what the defining StraightBourbon Society thinks.

I would cast a vote for the house of 4 Roses and ask....who is currently doing it better and more consistently than the good folks in Lawrenceburg?

Virtuoso

Re: Distillery of the year?

Paddy, I'll second your nomination. While I would love to expound on the many reasons why I must simply say that it is late, and my wallet has said more on the issue than I possibly could.

Guru

Im not gonna give an opinion of DOTY, but I will say that I personally am thankful for HH and Beam for making lots of great stuff that is under $50 and readily available anytime i feel like making the trip to the store. I'm not the 4R fan many of you are, but they too offer a lot of good choices for under $50, with the barrel proof wide selection being barely over that, that I plan to experiment with one of these days

hopefully, I can still say that in the next few years. I imagine a lot is going to change with ages statements, proofs, prices, and availability, though age statements I care least about of those options

Trippah and Admin

If you don't care about age statements, then Four Roses should be right up your alley.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

I'll cast my vote for Four Roses as well, but Heaven Hill put up a good fight. I don't think another distillery was even in the conversation this year.
    Jim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    If you don't care about age statements, then Four Roses should be right up your alley.

I need to try some more 4R barrel proof expressions. I had one and loved it, but didnt know enough about bourbon at the time to know there were 10 different recipes available.

which of the 75% corn barrel proofers do you guys recommend starting with?

Enthusiast

Old Rip Van Winkle is distillery of every year. Duh.

Virtuoso

McClain&Kyne, Michters, or Whistlepig. I can't decide. They are ALL distilling top notch.......oh, wait. Never mind.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Virtuoso

And being serious for a minute, it's Four Roses all day for me. Two time reigning American Whiskey of the Year. A REAL Master Distiller with the Midas touch. A full line of products and price points and not a clunker in the bunch. A very cool visitor center. 10 recipes. And holy smokes that 17 yr gift shop bottle!
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Connoisseur

It is tempting to pick Four Roses, as they have truly impressed me this year with their diversity of offerings, but yet their consistent quality as well. Never had a single bottle from there that I didn't like, but for me, it has to be HH. Between ECBP, PoH, and the soon to be in my hands 'bourbon of the year,' I think they just edged out the folks in Lawrenceburg. But I haven't got my taster on the 125th or the 'bourbon of the year' yet. So the jury in my head is still officially deliberating...