Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Bad Bottle Support Group

Eric was probably joking but it might be nice to see what similarities and differences we have with bottles we have found offensive. So I will start.

1. HW Double Rye - I found the young LDI over took the older rye in the blend.

2. KCSB - That damn soapy yeasty funk is just offensive to my palate.

3. Noah's Mill (NAS) - I'm still not sure why I don't like this one. By the time the bottle is finished I hope to have a satisfactory reason.

Of all these I only paid for the KCSB. The other two were gifts. Anyway over the past year these are the ones that are still fresh in my memory.

Taster

Re: Bad Bottle Support Group

Current non barrel-selected OWA. I believe another member described this as "brown sugar and alcohol". I think the aroma is bit better than that but it's not far from the truth on the palate. I keep avoiding this bottle every time I look for my next pour. Might have to buy a Weller 12 just to mask it in SB blend.

Disciple

its amazing the variety in tastes on here.....like, I, for one, can not grasp what you guys are talking about with "beam funk" or "dickel vitamins", and 'soapy yeast beam funk" is even a new one to me. Every now and then I start to get the HH 'minty' thing understood, yet I like it too.

I love KCSB, its one of my favorites, yet I agree with you on Noahs Mill. While I didnt find it foul, it was a pour at a restaurant that guaranteed Id not be buying a bottle, same with Ezra B 12, which I still swear both have the same source.

Ive had lots of stuff I didnt care for, while not thinking they were horrible. You guys know how I feel about 4R SiB and Sb....not horrible by any means, but just not for me at all. The SiB I had a few weeks ago tasted like licorice and rose petals that had been steeped in bourbon. Not enjoyable in the least.

The only thing Ive just downright thought was horrible was Overholt. I had nothing good to say about it, or any part of it.

Virtuoso

Agree with the OO 4eye! It was hard to mask it even with a lot of mixer. It's amazing to me that something so low in proof can be so vile.

Guru

I find it remarkable we have such a wide choice we can, well, be choosy. For instance I don't think there's anything wrong with, say, Rebel Yell, yet I don't see any reason to buy any when for about the same price I can get EWB.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Auracom View Post
    Current non barrel-selected OWA. I believe another member described this as "brown sugar and alcohol". I think the aroma is bit better than that but it's not far from the truth on the palate. I keep avoiding this bottle every time I look for my next pour. Might have to buy a Weller 12 just to mask it in SB blend.
    My first OWA lasted four years and I consumed maybe a 1/4 bottle. I also couldn't drink it by itself - neat, water, or ice. After mixing it with W12, both bottles were gone in a week. I love the SB blend and is now my daily pour. So I don't think it is a bad bottle but just not quite fit for you (or me) in this state.

////
    Not sure if this thread is about bad bottles or bottles that we happened to not like that much.

In either case, my contribution is, I still have a THH from 2009 that is still half there. My taste has changed so I can enjoy it a little more now. The bottle is fine. But first four years I drank like four pours at most. Now maybe a pour every month or three.
    Actually not sure why I don't go there as much.

Connoisseur

I had a bottle of BMH NAS that sat in my cabinet for about 9 months before I could flask it into a few summer weddings as a mixer. Even then the Coke and ice were hardly a match for it. Never again.
    Tyler

Disciple

I bought a bottle of Beam's 8 Star, heard it was the next Pappy. It wasn't. I'll stick with Sunny Brook.

Seriously though, I don't much like the idea of a thread dedicated to badmouthing bottles.
    Jim

Trippah and Admin

I've never had a bad bottle, but I have purchased some awesome learning experiences.

#ImWithJim
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Advanced Taster

I snuck some KCSB on a cruise ship last year, using a metal bottle that had originally contained Zirh Face Wash. (I washed and rinsed it thoroughly multiple times.
    When I tried drinking it, I assumed I'd failed in properly prepping the container, because it had a definite soapy aftertaste.
    When I got home, I sadly dumped what was left down the drain. Taking a pour a few days later from the KCSB bottle, I noticed the same taste, and assumed my tainted cruise stash had just ruined KCSB for me (As I'd liked the bottles I'd had in the past).
    Now, I've heard several others mention the same taste, so maybe it's not just me...
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"