Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: VOB BiB dropped age statement

I will fall on that grenade and pick up a bottle of the new stuff after work. My palate is not refined so I may be of little assistance, but I'll give it a whirl.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by qman22 View Post
    I checked a current 1792 while at the liquor store today and the age statement is indeed gone.
    While 1792 is not something I drink often it is something I always have open. I did pick up several handles of the 8 year today just in case. Everything I have seen around here is still 8 year. It may be around for awhile because it is not a big seller in this area.

Enthusiast

Just seen the new ones today with no age statement - another one going down..,but found 2 ewsb 2002 vintage!
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Connoisseur

Just did a blind side-by-side of the 8yo 1792 and new NAS 1792. I had my wife pop open the bottles and pour then while I was in another room. I easily picked out the new one by nose alone. It's brighter and more bold, but not in a bad way. The 8yo has more of a maple and earthy flavor to it and I will miss it, but the new stuff is by no means the usual watered-down swill from Sazerac I've come to expect. It's a little more bold and young, but not by much. Think of it as a refined VOB.
    Last edited by ethangsmith; 01-18-2014 at 18:14.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    ...but the new stuff is by no means the usual watered-down swill from Sazerac we've come to expect.
    Thank you for the review, Ethan. I'll kindly excuse myself from the inclusion in we've.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    It's a little more bold and young, but not by much.
    Now fast forward your imagination 3 years from now. If you can tell differences in the profile mere weeks after the switch imagine what it'll slowly become.

Advanced Taster

I apologize in advance if this has already been previously discussed, but what is the mash bill of VOB BIB? I have a half empty bottle and just nosed it from the bottle and was surprised (in a good way)...
    "The Road goes on Forever and the Party never ends!"
    - Robert Earl Keen

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Thank you for the review, Ethan. I'll kindly excuse myself from the inclusion in we've.
    Haha. I know everyone wouldn't agree with that, but it seems like more and more products from Sazerac (And pretty much all the other distillers.) are coming at a lower proof or with no age statement. It's getting frustrating! Combine this with my dislike of the way they toot their own horn constantly and I pretty much wrote them off.

Quote Originally Posted by bingstein View Post
    Now fast forward your imagination 3 years from now. If you can tell differences in the profile mere weeks after the switch imagine what it'll slowly become.
    This is what I'm afraid of. The 1792 and the Sazerac Rye are the only thing my palate agrees with from Sazerac, so it's got me worried I may have to totally cut them out of my whiskey cabinet!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Connoisseur

Tell you what, I'll edit it to reflect the opinions of others on here better...

...FIXED!

Connoisseur

I grabbed a bottle of vob86 yesterday but realized as I was close to the counter that it only had a 6 on the label. I would say they've done a good job at trying to be sneaky on the label change. It is just so easy to not even notice that it's missing the 6 years.
    - H