Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: VOB BiB dropped age statement

And the Wild Turkey 8 year becoming No. 8, Jack Daniels dropping from 90 proof to 86, I could go on but it's too depressing.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Yes that was the Costco liquor store at Willowbrook mall area.
    Looks like I'll be grabbing a few VOB 6/86 during my lunch break.

Thanks for the reply.

Connoisseur

Very depressing indeed. Being relatively new to this hobby (3 yrs now)... and seeing all these bourbons dropping age statements and watering down supply is saddening. Seems like I got in the game just soon enough to realize what we're missing.

Like others have said... insult to injury is the misleading labels. The damnable part is that it seems to be targeting the loyal customers who would be quick to grab a bottle without paying much attention to the label.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Guru

Won't stay loyal long.

Disciple

I stopped at a larger chain store at lunch today. This store normally carries VOB BIB and WL12. They had neither. They had only one age stated VOB 86. The rest were NAS. Given that they have heavily promoted VOB BIB over the past several months, I thought I would still find some. I guess age stated train has already left that station.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by JPBoston View Post
    Very depressing indeed. Being relatively new to this hobby (3 yrs now)... and seeing all these bourbons dropping age statements and watering down supply is saddening. Seems like I got in the game just soon enough to realize what we're missing.

Like others have said... insult to injury is the misleading labels. The damnable part is that it seems to be targeting the loyal customers who would be quick to grab a bottle without paying much attention to the label.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Great thing about being a noob is that you never knew what you were missing!

Guru

Sometimes ignorance isn't bliss.

Guru

someone should send them a link to this thread.

I never saw VOB move very much product, and know few people who drink it anyway. It gets more love on this forum than anywhere in the real world that I see. If that is true, they're really shooting themselves in the foot by making this move. keep the age statement and raise the price a buck....that'd be better than dropping the age statement to most people on here. I never see shortages of VOB, so I dont really see the logic in their move....they dont have higher end brands with this mashbill to explain moving aged product up the price ladder into higher end bourbons.

Id love to hear their side of the story......

Connoisseur

I'm sorry to hear about this. I have never had the pleasure to try the BIB but I have enjoyed the 86 and 90 versions. Not sure if I'm going to go buy a few more. If the quality drops, they'll loose me as a customer.
    - H

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    I never see shortages of VOB, so I dont really see the logic in their move....they dont have higher end brands with this mashbill to explain moving aged product up the price ladder into higher end bourbons.
    Barton has a number of higher end brands they've used in the past (they've been around quite awhile) and their new owner Sazarec certainly has more expensive labels to support by siphoning off Barton stock. Remember, there are some very expensive NDP Rye brands out there using contract rye whisky that was made by Barton.

The real story? My take anyway. Sazerac has figured out a new customer doing a google search on Barton will find good comments about the brand on the whisky boards. So there's already a positive public perception out there that didn't cost them a cent in advertizing dollars.

They said the brand will be expanded nationally so I expect what we'll see now is 4 year old Kentucky Tavern with a bit higher proof wearing a Barton label.