Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: VOB BiB dropped age statement

There are many more rules to the BIB requirement, but the age only has to be a minimum of 4. They can go from 6 to 4 yrs and still be BIB. Is that what you are asking?
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Virtuoso

In a way, yes. If they want to keep it BIB, it has to get younger, either all 5 or all 4. If they are looking for flexibility to label it NAS, then it doesn't necessarily have to be all the same age, but then they have to drop the BIB label. Either way, it is getting younger.
    Mark

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Maui, what are you asking? Sorry I don't follow.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Well, looks like Wade has the answer. Disappointing and I won't be buying this any time soon. (However if they remove the numeral 6 from the neck I might).

Gary

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Are we even sure 1792 still has age statement on back? I looked the other day at store and don't recall seeing it.
    Did this one already lose the age statement? The one I bought a few months back was still labeled with 8 years. It's not like it was easy to find on the bottle in the first place.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    I contacted BT and asked for confirmation if they were removing the age statement on Barton. Here is the response I just received:

"Yes, they are removing the age statements on a number of products.
    Once the bourbon reaches the desired taste profile for the particular product, they will then release it, instead of delaying to a specific year."
    Bullshit..I guess they think we are all a bunch of winos drinking our Mad Dog. I am sure that means Weller12 is gone soon as well as we suspected. You will have to get on a waiting and list and pay 3 times retail to get any age stated product from BT. I would like Harlan to come on here and tell us without his fingers crossed that WSR and OWA still meet the same taste profile they did in 2005...

Guru

Yes, BIB must be distilled in the same season (used to be two seasons, spring and fall with a break in the summer) so even whisky made in the same year might not qualify unless the distillery runs continuously. Whisky blended from different seasons, different years or different distillerys does not qualify.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Yes, BIB must be distilled in the same season (used to be two seasons, spring and fall with a break in the summer) so even whisky made in the same year might not qualify unless the distillery runs continuously. Whisky blended from different seasons, different years or different distillerys does not qualify.
    That's what I thought squire. So you got to believe the 100 proof BIB is just going to be 100 proof NAS (best case), otherwise you are talking 5 yr or 4 yr BIB. Otherwise, why are they doing this? To have the flexibility to put older whiskey in?
    Mark

Trippah and Admin

An age statement is a declaration of the youngest bourbon in the batch.

Whiskey can be different ages but still still considered to be bonded if bottled at 100 proof, provided that it meets the 4 year and distilling season requirements.

A 6 year old bonded bourbon can have whiskey that is 6 and 7 years old in the bottle.

For demo purposes, the Ox distillery has a Spring distilling season of January-May

Barrel A, distilled 1/2/06
    Barrel B, distilled 5/15/06

If you dump and batch the two barrels above on 5/1/13, it is a mixture of 6 and 7 year old bourbon. It meets the requirements for BiB if bottled at 100 proof as both barrels were a product of the same distilling season.

Unless they have magically come up with younger barrels that meet the flavor profile, I think that keeping the 100 proof as a bonded bourbon is equally as limiting to their barrel selection as the age statement.
    Last edited by callmeox; 12-23-2013 at 19:31.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

In addition to the same season requirement it must been made under the direction of a single Master Distiller within that season.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.