Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: VOB BiB dropped age statement

So did you buy it given the false information on the box and probably deliberately deceptive labeling of the bottle? I would not and would hope the store would work with me. At the very least get credit towards something better!

Although truth be told at this point they are probably little different from the age stated ones. The real deterioration in quality will likely take place over time.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

True statement but how long before we can actually notice the change? Six months, a year?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    True statement but how long before we can actually notice the change? Six months, a year?
    Seems like within a year or so people were noting OWA had gotten worse for the loss of its age statement. I can't really say as I don't drink OWA that often and mostly in the SB blend when I do.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

But why do you both consider the taste change now is minimal? Presumably some whiskey in the new bottles is under 6 years, do you think it is because they would currently be using just a little of that and as time goes by would use more?

It will be very interesting to read the first A/B...

Gary

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    But why do you both consider the taste change now is minimal? Presumably some whiskey in the new bottles is under 6 years, do you think it is because they would currently be using just a little of that and as time goes by would use more?

Gary
    Which I can't even do, sadly, because I was out of VOB to begin with.

This was the closest of two locations out of a 30 location chain that even had any VOB BIB. The distributor is backordered. Sazerac may be doing this to try to adjust for a shortage, who knows.
    Michael Shoshani - Old No. 8 on the Straightbourbon.com forums

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    And the most probable reason for the age drop is the increased distribution of the brand by Sazerac but being limited still by barrels of what Constellation distilled. In spite of our outrage they have planned this out carefully as a business decision.
    Could be, Thad. But my guess (FWIW) is this: one of Sazerac's strategic decisions is to increase it's private label business (with large grocery chains, etc.). You do this with low-end, low age stock. Best way to do this, in the short run, is to "steal" some stock from brands such as VOB. Being a low-to-mid-shelfer, you figure most VOB drinkers won't notice the change.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    I suppose we could start a new thread predicting what the next NAS brand will changed since they obviously have a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    I'll say Eagle Rare. Matter of fact I think the only thing that will retain the age statement is the BTAC.
    I would doubt that they would mess with ER10. It's one of their heavily-promoted (for a company like Sazerac that does relatively little advertising) premium brands..... touting all those medals and awards it has won, etc. You mess with the lower end, lower profit brands (e.g., OWA, VOB) instead.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post

Gary

I imagine it will take time, at least a year, for people to notice a difference. drastically changing the taste profile overnight will lose you a lot of customers, even if they dont care about age statements. One quote I remember from Freddie at BT was, "if you can't maintain a taste profile that is consistent over the years, you will lose those customers who buy your product". If you change it a tiny bit here, a tiny bit there, and do that incrementally over a few years, few will notice it......unless you do side by sides with new and old stuff like a lot of bourbon lovers on here do.

Guru

Losing the age statement may be the first of those incremental steps.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Losing the age statement may be the first of those incremental steps.

going NAS HAS to be the first step.........well I guess they could've changed it to just being a 6 year 100 proofer and dropped the BIB part, that might've freed up some options on making it too