Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: VOB BiB dropped age statement

More likely some changes have already been made and the age statement had to be dropped to put those changes in place.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    So did you buy it given the false information on the box and probably deliberately deceptive labeling of the bottle? I would not and would hope the store would work with me. At the very least get credit towards something better!
    Nah, I went into this consciously, betting (I haven't cracked any open yet to see though) that at this point in the game, what they're bottling isn't radically different from what they were bottling earlier this year.

The store isn't going to do anything, and I wouldn't ask them to. Whatever changes in labeling or aging or whatever isn't anything they did. They receive the product as delivered by the distributor, who in turn receives it as delivered by whatever agency (wholesale jobber or distillery) is their source.
    Michael Shoshani - Old No. 8 on the Straightbourbon.com forums

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    going NAS HAS to be the first step.........well I guess they could've changed it to just being a 6 year 100 proofer and dropped the BIB part, that might've freed up some options on making it too
    That would have had nicer potential, because if it had a 6 year age statement but wasn't bonded, they could mingle older whiskey into it when they had a need to get rid of some.

Some of us speculated that Old Forester was going to do that when they dropped the bonded label. Although it's NAS, it's really the highest thing BF has coming out of Shively. Woodford has a lighter profile even though it's the same mashbill; it wouldn't make sense to siphon off older Forester (which gets really heavy) for blending with the Woodford distillate. And Early Times is a completely different mashbill, so they wouldn't be using Forester to patch up holes there.
    Michael Shoshani - Old No. 8 on the Straightbourbon.com forums

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Could be, Thad. But my guess (FWIW) is this: one of Sazerac's strategic decisions is to increase it's private label business (with large grocery chains, etc.). You do this with low-end, low age stock. Best way to do this, in the short run, is to "steal" some stock from brands such as VOB. Being a low-to-mid-shelfer, you figure most VOB drinkers won't notice the change.
    In addition to grocery store brands, I think they are selling to NDP's. There are so many new NDP's selling whiskey and often at premium type prices for young NAS bourbon, that Sazerac probably realized they could sale in bulk to these guys for more profit than by selling in 6 year old Very Old Barton.

Guru

You're right Wade, they probably can. Contract distilling has been a part of the Barton business plan in the past as well.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

At this point, I'd just love to read a comparison, blind preferably. I take the points about the possible future, but what is the present state?

Gary

Advanced Taster

Just picked up a bottle of the Age Stated Monday! Last one on the shelf, don't know if they had anymore.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    In addition to grocery store brands, I think they are selling to NDP's.

well then, I say the best way to protest NDP's and age statements falling by the wayside is to stop buying both NDP's and anything that loses a statement. If you (everyone in general) stop buying something and pass the word as to why onto everyone you drink with, eventually, the distilleries would take notice. Whether they chose to listen or not is another matter, but they would notice.

Guru

if you're in Louisville and want some, PM me and I'll tell you where there is 6 year BIB, 6 year 90 (old looking bottles, not the bubble neck like the usual ones I see), and even some 1.75's of AAA 10 year. I have no interest in any of them, but will help others out.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Barton only has a premium brand to out sell the 6 yr VOB BIB and that is the 1792. All others are bottom shelves. So don't know what they would be taking their aged ? stock off for.
    Is it possible that Sazerac would have found a more profitable venue for older VOB, such as selling bulk to NDPs? Or what Wade said a few posts above.
    Last edited by DEelfinn; 12-26-2013 at 12:47.