Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: VOB BiB dropped age statement

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    I guess if Weller 12 ever goes NAS, it will still be called Weller 12 because it is widely known as Weller 12. Of course, it is widely known as Weller 12 because it is in fact a 12 year old age stated bourbon, which stands for something.
    I hope this isn't thread drift too much. My opinion, if they drop the age statement on Weller 12, it will go the way of Centennial. They aren't getting rid of Weller SR. It's too big a seller, and relatively cheap to make. Could they keep two 90 proof NAS wheaters, and one only vaguely older?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JVande View Post
    Just cracked open a newly acquired bottle. I pick up a lot of Rye spice with some fruitiness on the nose. Almost reminds me of something Four Roses would distill. Spiciness goes through the palate and ends with some faint caramel in the finish. Heck of a deal!
    It's a great tasting bourbon that we have only had here for less than a year I think and now it's going away. Please leave a few behind for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    I was in no way calling 'pelliot' a liar or anything similar. I was calling B.S. on BT's response to his inquiry. I can refrain from using the term itself, even though we are all in agreeance that their response to him was not very truthful

I think part of the warning comes from the desire to not deter reps from the distilleries from commenting here at SB or taking this forum seriously. From what I understand up until a few years ago it was common for distillery reps to engage in conversation here...until they were run off by unnecessary and uncouth behavior.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

Threads drift but the subject remains the same, think I'll start a Weller 12 thread.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Well at least the response used the word "they" a few times. Tells me all I need to know.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post

I think part of the warning comes from the desire to not deter reps from the distilleries from commenting here at SB or taking this forum seriously. From what I understand up until a few years ago it was common for distillery reps to engage in conversation here...until they were run off by unnecessary and uncouth behavior.
    From your lips to the Angel's ears, Joe.

The boldness and rudeness of internet anonymity has taken an unfortunate hold here and it needs to change. Strong opinions are normal, but being nasty or disagreeable is not and shouldn't be tolerated by the community.

We have dozens of new folks joining the site each week. Long time members and more active newer participants should set a better example with their style of discourse and the tone of the forums here.

The fact is that the current bourbon boom is hastening the extinction of age stated selections in the lower and mid shelves. We understand the economics behind it and can easily identify the marketing spin being used by the producers as it happens. We can also handle it like adults who see the writing on the wall.

Everything isn't rainbows and unicorn farts in the bourbon industry right now. Demand is way ahead of supply and the distilleries are doing what they can to keep pace while stocks are aging. When Beam opted to keep the age statement on Knob Creek a few years back while the pipeline dried up for months, folks here cried "marketing fluff" but Beam stayed true to the product. Little did we know that the Beam shortages were a bad sign across the board for the industry. Now that age statements are dropping in order to keep product on the shelves, the complaints are equally as loud.

The industry is adapting to a boom that they were ill prepared for across the board. It really is as simple as that.

Just remember the wise words of one member here: If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I think the company has made a mistake with its approach here and sincerely hope it will reconsider.

If I were them I'd redesign the neck label.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 12-28-2013 at 14:08.

Guru

If they were you they wouldn't have changed it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Well I think that's right. Earlier I was trying to make the point that the product has had different ages over the years.

This inclined me to think they can still put out a decent VOB but as far as the 6 numeral goes, based on what I've read the company has said about the 6 I think the label should be designed anew to remove that feature.

Gary

Guru

Oh, they certainly can, that's been established, in fact they have decent whisky on hand, what they don't have is a better story. This move was obviously planned for some time so why no better PR line than Old No. 6.

Disciple

Do most of the producers use in house PR or do they contract PR assistance? For example, I would suspect that Sazerac had to anticipate questions regarding this change so they had to establish a position for inquiries.