Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: VOB BiB dropped age statement

Wade's comment above struck a cord with me - the move to NAS in the lower to mid-shelf is a mark of the industry responding to exploding demand and holding onto their shelf space. You lose that space, and it may be hard to get back.

Further, it also seems clear to those on the board here who have been drinking bourbon much longer than I have that the ability to go NAS and maintain the age-stated taste is difficult if not impossible over the medium to longer term, both because of the increased demand and the trend of taking whatever available older whiskies that might balance a NAS bottling and put into age-stated higher priced brands. As the shelves are cleared of the age-stated version and bunkered, it will remain to be seen if these NAS bottlings will hold onto those who are now finding an interest in bourbon and move them up the shelf, or whether they'll just shrug and say, it's just OK and go back to whatever they were drinking beforehand.

If five- or 10-years hence the demand stabilizes or cools, I think you'll see "improved" NAS bottlings and perhaps some age statements return. But it is clear that most of the move to NAS leaves something to be desired - look at all of the blends experimented with on this board which I think is at least an attempt at recreating what was (SB Blend a notable example).
    Mark

Connoisseur

I still want to know why Barton isn't distilling more often if they are short on whiskey and have to remove age statements. Chuck made a post back in May of 2011 about the rumors of Barton shutting down. Though they weren't, they certainly weren't distilling anywhere near maximum capacity either. So I would certainly hope Barton has at least ramped up production now!

From Chuck Cowdery's blog May, 2011: http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/201...at-barton.html
    Last edited by ethangsmith; 12-29-2013 at 07:56.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Is BT distilling any of the Barton products?

Disciple

I know that Sazerac is getting some heat in the forum about leaving "6" on the neck label. I know there are all kinds of back stories about various "prominently" displayed numbers on bottles but I am not sure the average consumer really knows what some of these numbers mean and just assume that they reflect the age. I know I did before I joined this forum.

For example, I thought the difference between Dickel 8 and Dickel 12 is four years age. You can't tell me, even if the intent isn't there, the benefit of misunderstanding the meaning of the number doesn't lead to improved sales.

I don't recall on which page of this thread but I seem to recall Chuck indicating that this is a common practice. Doesn't make it right, but he was just stating the facts.

For example, I found an old thread on Dickel 12.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ckel-No-12-age

I know this thread seems circuitous but it is interesting to try to "guess" where all of this leads, not just to VOB but to the industry as well.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    For example, I found an old thread on Dickel 12.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ckel-No-12-age
    I'll keep the thread going to compliment you mbroo for digging into the great resource of past postings that exist here. Just like that gold or oil underneath the surface .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

Yes, there are a number of good threads around here that deserve revisiting.
    Last edited by squire; 12-29-2013 at 10:24.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Funny thing is that Saz did the right thing, truth-in-labeling-wise, when it removed "7 years" from OWA and WSR neck labels. The decision to subtly change to just "6" for VOB's is at least disappointing, at worst infuriating and insulting.
    But look on the bright side, at least they didn't "accidentally" apply the "6" neck label upside down!
    Mark
    "...that we here highly resolve that these empty bottles shall not have been drunk in vain..."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mark fleetwood View Post
    Funny thing is that Saz did the right thing, truth-in-labeling-wise, when it removed "7 years" from OWA and WSR neck labels.
    With all due respect, I don't think it was doing the "right thing" removing "7 years", but rather mandated by law. If there is juice less than 7 years old in the bottle, then it simply can't be labelled "7 years" anymore.

That's the significant point. Calling VOB 6 years old meant it was at least 6 year old juice in the bottle. When I just bought a few remaining handles of Old Charter 10 Year, the age statement was a guarantee that I was buying 1.75 L of at least 10 year old Kentucky bourbon for $30. Without the age statement, it could be anything in my bottles older than a few years old.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    With all due respect, I don't think it was doing the "right thing" removing "7 years", but rather mandated by law. If there is juice less than 7 years old in the bottle, then it simply can't be labelled "7 years" anymore.

That's the significant point. Calling VOB 6 years old meant it was at least 6 year old juice in the bottle. When I just bought a few remaining handles of Old Charter 10 Year, the age statement was a guarantee that I was buying 1.75 L of at least 10 year old Kentucky bourbon for $30. Without the age statement, it could be anything in my bottles older than a few years old.
    The point I was trying to make, apparently not lucidly, was that given the opportunity Saz did not replace "7 years" with a lone "7" for OWA and WSR. All the more disappointing that they then chose to take that path with VOB.
    Mark
    "...that we here highly resolve that these empty bottles shall not have been drunk in vain..."

Taster

Maybe global warming is shortening the aging process