Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Novice

Re: VOB BiB dropped age statement

I have been buying 750's of the HH BIB white label recently. It's only been available at one store and when I went to grab one last week they were all gone. They do have handles, but they don't say 6 years old anywhere. After trying the HH BIB 4 black/gold label at 4 years old head to head with the 6 year old I think there is not comparison. The extra two years makes all the difference. I saw a handle in the picture above and was wondering if it has the same taste profile as the 6 year even though it may not be 6 years old.

Also, VOB BIB being changed at all would make me very sad. It's right at the top of my list for taste and value.

Disciple

Cancel x-mas. The party's over.

Guru

And I didn't even get kissed.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by trader1974 View Post
    I have been buying 750's of the HH BIB white label recently. It's only been available at one store and when I went to grab one last week they were all gone. They do have handles, but they don't say 6 years old anywhere. After trying the HH BIB 4 black/gold label at 4 years old head to head with the 6 year old I think there is not comparison. The extra two years makes all the difference. I saw a handle in the picture above and was wondering if it has the same taste profile as the 6 year even though it may not be 6 years old.

Also, VOB BIB being changed at all would make me very sad. It's right at the top of my list for taste and value.
    Distillers will tell you they are matching a profile and that age statements aren't important. However, history has shown that they aren't always able to accurately replicate the profile when they start adding younger whiskey. The masses might not notice but regular patrons of their product and enthusiasts will.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

I emailed BT for confirmation on this. If they respond, I'll post here.

FYI - their website still shows 6 year age statement and I've found no updates on TTB label site.

Advanced Taster

Once I make it back to TPS, I'll snap a picture of the bottles down there. Sorry for the disappointing news everyone.

To those who say the taste not the age is what's important: I agree, but if you've tasted the difference in HH white label (6 year) vs. gold label (4 year), you know that even that small change in time can have a huge effect on flavor. VOB BiB is unlikely a big money maker so I doubt BT would worry about destroying the reputation of this bottom shelfer. I hope I'm wrong, but I plan to pick up some of the age stated stuff that is still on shelves around the area in case things do go downhill.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    Distillers will tell you they are matching a profile and that age statements aren't important. However, history has shown that they aren't always able to accurately replicate the profile when they start adding younger whiskey. The masses might not notice but regular patrons of their product and enthusiasts will.
    WT101 comes to mind immediately.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beer&Bourbon View Post
    I doubt BT would worry about destroying the reputation of this bottom shelfer.

what does Buffalo Trace have to do with this? Both Barton and BT are owned by the same company. Wouldn't complaining to BT about a Barton bourbon be like complaining to a Cadillac dealer about your Corvette (same parent company, but sister brands)?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    what does Buffalo Trace have to do with this? Both Barton and BT are owned by the same company. Wouldn't complaining to BT about a Barton bourbon be like complaining to a Cadillac dealer about your Corvette (same parent company, but sister brands)?
    Technically one should complain to Sazerac, who owns both BT and Barton distilleries.

Not that it'll get you anywhere.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    You took the words right outta my mouth!