Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: VOB BiB dropped age statement

I don't understand why they would introduce the 6 year age stated Jeffer's Creek and within a year drop the age statement of their flagship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One whiskey for every ghost.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by jaycamm View Post
    I don't understand why they would introduce the 6 year age stated Jeffer's Creek and within a year drop the age statement of their flagship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jeffer's Creek appeals to folks who like fancy looking bottles and fancy sounding names. There are lots of those folks.
    Jim

Enthusiast

kind of beating a dead horse here but for anyone who hasn't seen it let us speculate about what those 6 year barrels that might've become Barton BIB will now be gracing store shelves:

Guru

Simple enough, they can get more for Jeffer's Creek than by trying to raise the price of Barton which is, after all, a brand with limited regional appeal.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate?
    I am talking about the variation I have found in Weller 12. Most of it falls in a decent range, but I have gotten a couple bottles where soot was the only flavor they had in common. Even mixed with coke, it tastes nothing like average Weller 12. If you can take a 2 oz sample from each, mix it with a 12 oz can of coke, and still tell the difference, I consider them two different products.

Maybe there was only a single bad batch, and I happened to run into it at various stores throughout the last couple years. I might have better luck if I always bought it from one store that sells it on a regular basis, where I know they are always bringing in fresh inventory. Overall it might be an anomaly, but in my experience Weller 12 quality control and consistency has dropped below what I expect from the average NDP. If this carries over to Barton, dropping the age statement is the least of our worries.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
    I am talking about the variation I have found in Weller 12. Most of it falls in a decent range, but I have gotten a couple bottles where soot was the only flavor they had in common. Even mixed with coke, it tastes nothing like average Weller 12. If you can take a 2 oz sample from each, mix it with a 12 oz can of coke, and still tell the difference, I consider them two different products.

Maybe there was only a single bad batch, and I happened to run into it at various stores throughout the last couple years. I might have better luck if I always bought it from one store that sells it on a regular basis, where I know they are always bringing in fresh inventory. Overall it might be an anomaly, but in my experience Weller 12 quality control and consistency has dropped below what I expect from the average NDP. If this carries over to Barton, dropping the age statement is the least of our worries.
    I always buy W12 at the Bay Area or Friendswood Specs and they seem to sell a lot so maybe you are onto something. I have had quite a bit of VOB 6 year since it came to Texas and I noticed a bit more butterscotch in some bottles but in general little variation.

Guru

I posted a complaint about my disappointment with the dropping of the age statement and the deceptive neck label change on the Barton 1792 Distillery FB page and as far as I can tell, those comments have been deleted. No answer to the question, no private message, just a delete. This doesn't make me less annoyed.
    Last edited by Josh; 01-03-2014 at 06:04.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I posted a complaint about my disappointment with the dropping of the age statement and the deceptive neck label change on the Barton 1792 Distillery FB page and as far as I can tell, those comments have been deleted. No answer to the question, no private message, just a delete. This doesn't make me less annoyed.
    Well at least you know they are reading them. Wish more would post there.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    You could argue that that's more of an answer than a canned "we release based on profile not age statement!" response. I view the deleted comments as an admission that yes, they're simply trying to deceive people, thinking/assuming that nobody will notice the difference.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum View Post

Thanks for the explanation. So, you're talking just batch/bottle variation. I was thinking you might mean more. Just thinking here, if BT is having a difficult time keeping the taste profile consistent, the shelves filled, and then having enough good whiskey left over for a "Super Premium" Lot B, then I'm thinking the age statement "needs" to be removed. Bottle that to taste profile. I'm not sure we can expect an endless supply of yummy, readily available, $24, 12 year old wheated bourbon. And, I'm not sure that I can blame BT if they were to take that off the table. I think we've all been fortunate to benefit from the tail-end of the whiskey glut these past several years. But all good things gotta come to an end, and it's the same with old BT...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama