Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast
    Guru

Re: VOB BiB dropped age statement

Quote Originally Posted by JVande View Post
    I apologize in advance if this has already been previously discussed, but what is the mash bill of VOB BIB? I have a half empty bottle and just nosed it from the bottle and was surprised (in a good way)...
    Barton has a traditional mash bill, 75% corn, 15% rye and 10% malted barley. I've heard estimates of as much as16 or 18% rye but that's still not especially high compared to Grand Dad or Four Roses. The difference is Barton introduces the rye into the cooker with the corn earlier than other distillers which makes the final product more dry and rye forward in profile. I expect that production technique will remain irrespective of what other changes Sazerac may have in store for the brand.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Barton has a traditional mash bill, 75% corn, 15% rye and 10% malted barley. I've heard estimates of as much as16 or 18% rye but that's still not especially high compared to Grand Dad or Four Roses. The difference is Barton introduces the rye into the cooker with the corn earlier than other distillers which makes the final product more dry and rye forward in profile. I expect that production technique will remain irrespective of what other changes Sazerac may have in store for the brand.
    Thanks Squire. Definitely puts me in my place, I know very little then. Dominant Rye characteristics was not what I picked up on the nose. I will go back to the drawing board.
    "The Road goes on Forever and the Party never ends!"
    - Robert Earl Keen

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I have read a few places that BT might be looking to source some whiskey, especially aged whiskey. I am not sure how true this is. But, if it is true, I wonder if this might affect the production technique with respect to what is in the bottle.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JVande View Post
    Thanks Squire. Definitely puts me in my place, I know very little then. Dominant Rye characteristics was not what I picked up on the nose. I will go back to the drawing board.
    I was talking about the flavor profile, which is rye forward. The nose is rich, full, oaky toffee with a dark fruit almost figgy touch.

Advanced Taster

Okay, yeah that toffee like characteristic was what I was picking up on the nose that I never usually relate to a 6 year bourbon with rye in the mash bill.
    "The Road goes on Forever and the Party never ends!"
    - Robert Earl Keen

Enthusiast

The bottle I opened is about 1/3 empty. I actually like it. A lot. It's probably very early in the transition between ages, but I gotta tell you that there's a caramel-toffee sweetness in it that reminds me a LOT of Rock Hill Farms of 15-20 years ago. But of course at about one-fifth the price. (This would still be Constellation juice, though, I'm pretty sure.)
    Michael Shoshani - Old No. 8 on the Straightbourbon.com forums

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post
    I gotta tell you that there's a caramel-toffee sweetness in it
    That's what I love about the BIB. I don't get that as much in the 86 proof version.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    While 1792 is not something I drink often it is something I always have open. I did pick up several handles of the 8 year today just in case. Everything I have seen around here is still 8 year. It may be around for awhile because it is not a big seller in this area.
    Well I was wrong. I went around today to pick up a few more bottles and everything I saw was NAS.

Guru

Some lurker read your post.

Enthusiast

The three WashDC stores I frequent that carry VOBBIB had AS bottles two weeks ago, no VOBBIB of any kind last week, and NAS BIB this week. Price is the same.