Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jefferson's Presidential Rye 25

I try very hard not to like Jefferson's products. P&MLiquorsEric talking about KY prices talked me into gambling. And I was afraid I'd regret missing trying it more than wasting $$ on something nasty.

This one took me by surprise. There's been very few canadians I've liked. I expected stout flavors from a 25 yo old rye. This one was mild, sophisticated. It's got the carvone nose & flavors (rye bread) one gets from old time ryes found in products made years ago. I expected heavy wood, but almost no wood present. It does have maturity that comes from something sitting in barrel for a long time. Lots of different subtle flavors. Not a strong aftertaste, but a pleasent lingering goodness.

Age old question, is it worth the $$? For most everybody, no, go for the Jefferson's 10 year instead. However, if you've already tasted lots of different things, like to experiment, and don't mind the price.... But if you're a rockstar, please don't mix it with coke or sprite.

Disciple

Re: Jefferson's Presidential Rye 25

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    I try very hard not to like Jefferson's products. P&MLiquorsEric talking about KY prices talked me into gambling. And I was afraid I'd regret missing trying it more than wasting $$ on something nasty.

This one took me by surprise. There's been very few canadians I've liked. I expected stout flavors from a 25 yo old rye. This one was mild, sophisticated. It's got the carvone nose & flavors (rye bread) one gets from old time ryes found in products made years ago. I expected heavy wood, but almost no wood present. It does have maturity that comes from something sitting in barrel for a long time. Lots of different subtle flavors. Not a strong aftertaste, but a pleasent lingering goodness.

Age old question, is it worth the $$? For most everybody, no, go for the Jefferson's 10 year instead. However, if you've already tasted lots of different things, like to experiment, and don't mind the price.... But if you're a rockstar, please don't mix it with coke or sprite.
    Haha...thank you for the review. I doubt I would ever purchase the 25 year but I really like the Jeff 10 Canadian. It is really good!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    I expected stout flavors from a 25 yo old rye. This one was mild, sophisticated. It's got the carvone nose & flavors (rye bread) one gets from old time ryes found in products made years ago. I expected heavy wood, but almost no wood present. It does have maturity that comes from something sitting in barrel for a long time.
    So is this a product of the Canadian climate? Mild summers and cold winters don't allow for the swings in temp/humidity found in KY? So a year aging in Can<a year in Ky?
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    So is this a product of the Canadian climate? Mild summers and cold winters don't allow for the swings in temp/humidity found in KY? So a year aging in Can<a year in Ky?
    Changes in latitude, changes in wooditude? If in fact this Alberta Distillery product (and that seems far from clear to me. Heaven Hill seems like the more likely suspect!) then Calgary, while not quite level with Scotland, is about the same latitude as London. The Woodford/Glenmorangie (I think) experiment suggested it was something like 3 to 1 aging I believe. So even 2 to 1 could make this more like 12-13yo perhaps?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

I have some 15 year old Heaven Hill bourbon that was aged at Springbank. Wasn't aware of any other experiments.

Enthusiast

I was able to get a JPS 21y Rye and it was very good. I don't know if it's the same rye.

Disciple

I would be very curious to hear from someone that has done a SBS of 21yr. and the 25yr. as I thought the 21yr. was quite remarkable and probably should have jumped while they were still available.I know that they are rather tight lipped with the sources of these ultra-aged ryes,but if they are truly of the same source a bit more barrel influence would be welcome as the only real fault I found in the 21yr. was in the nose as it was a bit simplistic and closed form what you would expect form a product of this age,maybe another 4 years would add some depth and richness.
    Last edited by WAINWRIGHT; 12-21-2013 at 14:38.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    I would be very curious to hear from someone that has done a SBS of 21yr. and the 25yr. as I thought the 21yr. was quite remarkable and probably jumped while they were still available.I know that they are rather tight lipped with the sources of these ultra-aged ryes,but if they are truly of the same source a bit more barrel influence would be welcome as the only real fault I found in the 21yr. was in the nose as it was a bit simplistic and closed form what you would expect form a product of this age,maybe another 4 years would add some depth and richness.
    If I could find the Jeff 25yo rye I would give be happy to compare it to the 21. So far no luck. Have only seen the 25yo (and 30yo) bourbon.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    If I could find the Jeff 25yo rye I would give be happy to compare it to the 21. So far no luck. Have only seen the 25yo (and 30yo) bourbon.
    Incoming PM, got offered one today from under the counter at my local, but its mighty pricy.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Incoming PM, got offered one today from under the counter at my local, but its mighty pricy.
    Thanks! Aren't they all?