Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Virtuoso

Re: Jefferson's Presidential Rye 25

Just opened a bottle and letting it breath before my first taste.

Will report back later after I get to know this better.

Virtuoso

Edit: Sorry, this is from someone who has only drank CoK and Medley rye and bunker enough to last a while so mostly only drink those routinely. The only other rye I have drink is Jeff 10 NCF and HW21 on occasion.

Initial impression (2nd pour) nothing like CoK or Medley. Similar taste profile (from memory) to Jeff 10 NCF and perhaps HW21 that I have been drinking. Will do some SBS to be sure. Note, I have not had Jeff 21 rye yet.

Not woody at all and taste actually very young for 25 years. Smooth and easy to drink.

If you are like me who love CoK and Medley, then this is very different. If you like Jeff 10 NCF and HW, taste profile is consistent and like an older and more refine pour.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlam92 View Post
    Edit: Sorry, this is from someone who has only drank CoK and Medley rye and bunker enough to last a while so mostly only drink those routinely. The only other rye I have drink is Jeff 10 NCF and HW21 on occasion.

Initial impression (2nd pour) nothing like CoK or Medley. Similar taste profile (from memory) to Jeff 10 NCF and perhaps HW21 that I have been drinking. Will do some SBS to be sure. Note, I have not had Jeff 21 rye yet.

Not woody at all and taste actually very young for 25 years. Smooth and easy to drink.

If you are like me who love CoK and Medley, then this is very different. If you like Jeff 10 NCF and HW, taste profile is consistent and like an older and more refine pour.
    I find the Jeff 21 Rye to be much more light than expected with pleasant fruit and spice notes and really very little wood. Compared to a Vintage Rye 21, which is very dry and has a fair amount of oaky wood notes it seemed a totally different spirit. Hadn't thought totry it against the Jeff 10 but that is easy enough to do.

May have to compare the Jeff 21 to the HW21 out of curiosity. That means I may have to crack open my last HW21 but I suppose sometimes sacrifices have to be made!

Still looking for the elusive Jeff 25 rye here.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I find the Jeff 21 Rye to be much more light than expected with pleasant fruit and spice notes and really very little wood.
    Last night had another pour and it has opened up much more now.

Now, nice to very nice pour. The nose has open up tremendously. I also found it as you stated, lighter than expected with the nice fruit and spice note and very mild wood.

Connoisseur

These are available around me, but do not seem to be selling well. Lasting quite a long time for a premium product these days. Interesting to see that IMHO, rye still has a long way to go to catch up to bourbon and scotch for notoriety and popularity.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I find the Jeff 21 Rye to be much more light than expected with pleasant fruit and spice notes and really very little wood. Compared to a Vintage Rye 21, which is very dry and has a fair amount of oaky wood notes it seemed a totally different spirit. Hadn't thought totry it against the Jeff 10 but that is easy enough to do.

May have to compare the Jeff 21 to the HW21 out of curiosity. That means I may have to crack open my last HW21 but I suppose sometimes sacrifices have to be made!

Still looking for the elusive Jeff 25 rye here.
    Bruce, PM me if you're still looking for a retailer in metro.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    These are available around me, but do not seem to be selling well. Lasting quite a long time for a premium product these days. Interesting to see that IMHO, rye still has a long way to go to catch up to bourbon and scotch for notoriety and popularity.
    Same here. I still see the Jeff 21 Bourbon on shelves. I think the 21 and 25 year rye will be around for awhile.

Guru

Finally had a chance to try the Jeff 21 and 25 SBS (along with a Jeff 10 and a couple of other ryes). Understandably hard to justify spending that much on either of them but both are interesting and tasty whiskies. The 25 was particularly nice and a shame it didn't carry a bit more proof although I din't think it was particularly thin.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

Passed on this today @ $149.99. Just going thorugh this thread doesn't seem like it's worth it.